Where does Carlos Lee rate? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where does Carlos Lee rate?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Melo255 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:49 pm

rich101682 wrote:
Pedro wrote:All I said was they put up similar offensive numbers, are you going to argue that with me?

Plus, Lee has always had steady protection in his lineup and his RBI numbers are not as impressive since Beltran has more out of the #2 spot in the lineup as opposed to batting further down with more guys on base.

No disagreement at all. Just have to mention that Lee is batting in typically a more rbi productive spot in the batting order BUT you have to keep in mind that the 3 and 4 hitters in front of him are Mags and Thomas. They don't actually help his rbi numbers they hurt it because of all the home runs and rbi's they knock in. They actually take away more rbi opps then they give. Beltran is doing more than almost anyone else could in the 2 spot but he DOES have Sweeney and Juan Gone batting behind him giving him very good protection whereas Lee has Konerko and Crede who don't exactly instill fear in opposing pitchers. Again there's no question Beltran is much much better than Lee just though I'd defend Lee a bit. Just something to think about.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedro » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:02 pm

rich101682 wrote:
Pedro wrote:All I said was they put up similar offensive numbers, are you going to argue that with me?

Last I checked, steals were an offensive stat. I think you meant to say "hitting" instead of "offensive".

You also aren't taking into account that Beltran missed the first month of the season last year, which hurt his HR, RBI, and most likely AVG just a bit. Give Beltran and Lee a full season each, and you will see how much bette Beltran is.

Plus, Lee has always had steady protection in his lineup and his RBI numbers are not as impressive since Beltran has more out of the #2 spot in the lineup as opposed to batting further down with more guys on base.

With potential AND current offensive skills in mind, Beltran beats out Lee in both categories. There's a reason one is a first round selection and the other is on waivers in some leagues. Lee is good, and could be a nice addition to a team, but there is no way he can compare to everything beltran brings to the table.

Sigh, I'll again reiterate.

I never once said Lee was better than Beltran.

The numbers I gave were seasonal averages they are per 162 games, so any missed time is null and void.

Look up both their seasonal averages, and you will see they are similar in every offensive category except SB. Which is what I said from the beginning.

The only thing I said was he put up similar numbers to Andruw Jones and Beltran, which he does.
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stumpak » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:18 pm

Drop any one of those guys for Lee except Manny.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Geek » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:39 pm

stumpak wrote:Drop any one of those guys for Lee except Manny.

I'd drop Huff or Dye long before I'd drop Ortiz.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers