Where does Carlos Lee rate? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where does Carlos Lee rate?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where does Carlos Lee rate?

Postby jmintert » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:01 pm

Lee was just dropped in my league. I've got Manny, Luis Gonzo, Dye, David Ortiz, Huff to fill 3 OF and 1 DH spot. In looking at last year(s), Lee has been pretty solid. However, does he rate dropping one of my bench players to pick up? Where would you rate him in my list of OF/DH?

10 team, head-to-head league

1b: Giambi, 2b: Boone, 3b: Chavez, ss: Furcal, of: Manny/L. Gonzalez/Dye, c: Lopez, dh: Huff, bench: D. Ortiz/D. Lee

P (start 5): Schilling/Mussina/Vazquez/Schmidt/Clemens, bench: Sabathia/Milton/Garcia
jmintert
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedro » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:12 pm

Lee posts very similar offensive numbers to Andruw Jones and Carlos Beltran. He also is very consistant.

That said, if I were to consider dropping anyone for Lee it would be Dye, I am not convinced he is back to his past form even though he has been money thus far this year.
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rich101682 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:14 pm

Pedro wrote:Lee posts very similar offensive numbers to Andruw Jones and Carlos Beltran.

I'll agree with the Jones part, but Beltran? No way. Lee does not have the potential to go 40-40 every year.
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 92)

Postby Pedro » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:28 pm

I am not talking about potential, I'm talking about stats.

Look at these seasonal averages.

Beltran) .838 OPS, .288 BA, 105 RBI, 25 HR, 34 SB

Lee) .814 OPS, .283 BA, 100 RBI, 27 HR, 12 SB
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby OREO fan » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:10 pm

34 sb and 12 sb are a pretty big difference
OREO fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pedro » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:23 pm

Okay,

A) I never said Lee was better than Beltran

B) All I said was they put up similar offensive numbers, are you going to argue that with me?
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Melo255 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:33 pm

Pedro wrote:Okay,

A) I never said Lee was better than Beltran

B) All I said was they put up similar offensive numbers, are you going to argue that with me?

Last year Lee hit 31 home runs and stole 18 bases
Beltran hit 26 home runs and stole 41 bases

I think what you mean is that they both put up pretty good home run and stolen base numbers and are both essentially 5 tool players, that what you mean? I don't think he is saying Lee is better or even close to as good as Beltran but they do have similar traits. Anyway from my experience Carlos Lee is a love him or hate him kind of guy. I personally think he is one of the most undervalued fantasy players out there-going by his average draft position-for a guy who helps in every stat category. He isn't a top tier guy and he will not under any circumstances be as good a power hitter as Andruw Jones but with his stolen base potential I could see putting him in that same class. My 2 cents
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rich101682 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:40 pm

Pedro wrote:All I said was they put up similar offensive numbers, are you going to argue that with me?

Last I checked, steals were an offensive stat. I think you meant to say "hitting" instead of "offensive".

You also aren't taking into account that Beltran missed the first month of the season last year, which hurt his HR, RBI, and most likely AVG just a bit. Give Beltran and Lee a full season each, and you will see how much bette Beltran is.

Plus, Lee has always had steady protection in his lineup and his RBI numbers are not as impressive since Beltran has more out of the #2 spot in the lineup as opposed to batting further down with more guys on base.

With potential AND current offensive skills in mind, Beltran beats out Lee in both categories. There's a reason one is a first round selection and the other is on waivers in some leagues. Lee is good, and could be a nice addition to a team, but there is no way he can compare to everything beltran brings to the table.
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thetongueofire » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:46 pm

alright guys dont nitcpick... except for the steals, their offensive numbers last few years were "similar" :-D but that extra dimension makes all the diff in BB. no doubt Beltran is much better ;-D

anyhow, id also drop dye out of all of your guys...
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rich101682 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:48 pm

^
He's right. I'd say Dye too.
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor