ESPN Rates Baseball as the 9th Most Difficult Sport - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ESPN Rates Baseball as the 9th Most Difficult Sport

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ramble2 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:44 am

Hmmm, this reminds me of a study done back when I was in high school. It studied California high school sports to determine which atheletes were the fittest and which sport was the most demanding. (I have no idea if it's on line - this was before the internet was even a sparkle in someone's eye, back in the day of the Commodore 64.) I don't remember the parameters which they used to judge, but it wasn't about skill or difficulty, but physical demands of the sport.

#1 was wrestling
#2 was water polo
#3 was swimming

I don't remember the rest. (I was a water polo player and swimmer, that's why I remember this.)

I'd bet that if boxing had been a CA high school sport, it'd be #1. Ice Hockey, too, would be right up there. I'd bet that an NHL goalie sweats more in a single game than do NASCAR drivers in a single race. Not sure what that means, but it's kind of gross.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby matmat » Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:59 am

la dodgers wrote:i have to say i find rugby harder then football damn american judges

let's not forget aussie rules football... or that british isle sport played with the baddle and a little ball... forget what it is called.

also... look at the flexibility rating for ice hockey... it's lower than a lot of other sports... I guess these guys have never seen the goalies do splits while standing on their head...
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby timely » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:25 am

Well of course no mention of cricket, which i know appears extremely boring, but then what was curling and fishing doing in there?? Cricket actually isnt that hard (to me anyway), but no gloves involved and its legal to throw the ball as hard as you can at both the head and groin. I did think the list was ok though (with the exception of the inclusion of the non sports). I do think that anything with judging involved isnt a sport. ( I hate the concept of points decision in fights....last round should go until someone quits, falls or dies)

Nerve (guts) has absolutely nothing to do with athleticism, but it is far and away the most important attribute for a competitor to have.
timely

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby matmat » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:43 am

timely wrote:I do think that anything with judging involved isnt a sport. ( I hate the concept of points decision in fights....last round should go until someone quits, falls or dies)

yeah. "judging" is really silly. Did you know that a large fraction of the score in ski jumping are "style points"... that cracks me up... just measure the distance!
also... cricket can be hard (for the umpire... I mean... try calling LBWs).
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:26 am

Justin_Case wrote:Actually, Brian Jordan is one of the "experts" on the panel. I'm pretty sure he's gone up against Randy Johnson.

However, I do agree that standing in on a high and inside fastball is pretty darn tough to do.

I dont know.. if you see most guys who get thrown high and tight you'll see them not looked scared or un-nerved but rather that they'd wanna kill the guy or smack a HR to show em that they aint got sh*t.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ironman » Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:18 am

Amazinz wrote:
Yogi wrote:
Yankees SUCK Posted:
Wrestling is far too low! Below basketball!? That is absurd. I know from experience that wrestling is much harder physically (strength, endurance, etc.) than ice hockey and football. I've never boxed, and I imagine that it is extremely tough, top 2 should definately be boxing/wrestling... I think its a tossup between those 2.

Wrestling is tough but it is not an athletic sport. Sorry, compare the great basketball athletes to the great wrestling athletes....um Michael Jordan to ...Hulk Hogan?

LOL I think they are referring to Olympic-style wrestling. :-D

I agree that wrestling should be above basketball. The training regimen those guys go through blows those pot-smoking, bastard child conceiving, Escalade-driving, its all about the Bling-Bling NBA jackasses, out of the water!

Of course I'm from Iowa so I might be a little biased. ;-)
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

BASKET BALL IS CRAP

Postby acsguitar » Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:04 pm

Basketball would be last on my list...It takes very little skill to play that boring ass ping pong scoring sport...Comeon all you need in basketball is to be 6 feet plus and dunk....

By the way shaq is the worst athlete ever...Hes' just a monster and fouls his way to points...If you ask me get rid of the dunk and basketball will take skill...Wow its so hard scoring when the basket is at eye level!!...You can take anyone and put them on a court and theyll be able to play basketball..They might not be the best shooter but they wont make a fool of themselves like you would playing baseball.....Baseball is a sport of skill...

Lets watch shaq try to hit a baseball..hed fall on his monkey ass...yet if we put any baseball player on a basketball court he probably could score a few points...

I hate basketball..oh and soccer is pretty gay too..
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Re: BASKET BALL IS CRAP

Postby Nomar4prez » Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:14 pm

acsguitar wrote:Basketball would be last on my list...It takes very little skill to play that boring ass ping pong scoring sport...Comeon all you need in basketball is to be 6 feet plus and dunk....

By the way shaq is the worst athlete ever...Hes' just a monster and fouls his way to points...If you ask me get rid of the dunk and basketball will take skill...Wow its so hard scoring when the basket is at eye level!!...You can take anyone and put them on a court and theyll be able to play basketball..They might not be the best shooter but they wont make a fool of themselves like you would playing baseball.....Baseball is a sport of skill...

Lets watch shaq try to hit a baseball..hed fall on his monkey ass...yet if we put any baseball player on a basketball court he probably could score a few points...

I hate basketball..oh and soccer is pretty gay too..

Shaq is not an athelete? What a joke! He is the ONLY person his size that can move as fluidly as he does. He is a freak of nature, and I bet twice the athlete then some of the guys in MLB are(Piazza, Vaughn, Kruk, Gwynn). Professional basketball players have been training for tens of thousands of hours, and if you think anyone could play in the NBA, then you obviously don't know how talented these guys are. I also think Baseball demands more mental ability, but there is no way baseball involves more athletic ability than basketball.

P.S. I do think baseball is better than basketball, but the things this guy was saying were just ridiculous.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Crap sport

Postby acsguitar » Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:21 pm

Crap sport for criminals...Basketball is garbage...bunch of show offs...shaq isn't fluid hes just big and makes a lot of money....Im talking about difficulty...its more difficult to play baseball then basketball...as for your comments..each to their own...I hate basketball so as you can tell im a little biased
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby matmat » Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:35 pm

uhm... people, it's not just "skill" that we are talking about. it's is also athleticism, conditioning etc. etc. etc. if you look at those factors basketball probably should be ahead of baseball, or at least on par with it, or maybe not far behind. I mean, in basketball a starter has about 30+ minutes of continuous running, in baseball? well, you either sit on the bench most of the time or stand at your position most of the time... how long does an average play take? (I think it's the pitchers & catchers are the ones that need to be best conditioned).

I dislike basketball (at least the NBA brand of it), but I do believe that it is still a sport requiring lots of ability that baseball doesn't require... regarding a previous post about a baseball player who'd play in a basketball game -- I bet he'd probably tear his acl or something like that.

Who was it that said that any activity during which you can drink a beer isn't a sport? well... baseball comes dangerously close to that line.

anyway, keep in mind that it is not just the mechanical skill involved that espn has ranked, but all the various components that go into playing the sport. I, for one, think that soccer should be higher... if you've ever tried to kick a soccer ball as hard as you could in the direction that you wanted while running as fast as you can after 90 minutes of play, you know what I'm talking about.
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers