ESPN Rates Baseball as the 9th Most Difficult Sport - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ESPN Rates Baseball as the 9th Most Difficult Sport

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby frog99 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:58 pm

NASCAR 32!???? that is a joke. and billards second to last? if you have ever played pool in a tough bar you know that is way more dangerous than boxing! come on.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby afromangettindrunk » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:16 pm

nascar is pretty draining physically on the drivers....i mean its 120+ degrees in those cars and they have to focus nonstop for however long the race is all while experiencing crazy g forces at 170-190 mph. i dont really love racing but i give drivers the nod of toughness.

i also would agree that soccer is much harder physically than baseball. im not so sure about mentally, but definitely athletically.
afromangettindrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby frog99 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:20 pm

afromangettindrunk wrote:nascar is pretty draining physically on the drivers....i mean its 120+ degrees in those cars and they have to focus nonstop for however long the race is all while experiencing crazy g forces at 170-190 mph. i dont really love racing but i give drivers the nod of toughness.

i also would agree that soccer is much harder physically than baseball. im not so sure about mentally, but definitely athletically.

if i drive 120 mph in 100 degree weather during the summer the cops arrest me. some dude races 190 mph in a circle he makes millions. doesn't make sense to me... really anything were the person isn't doing the work (Nascar, horse racing which at least 250 million other people can't do), ect.) isn't a sport.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby afromangettindrunk » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:35 pm

i dont watch or follow nascar other than the occassional highlight or occassionally daytona but if youve ever seen a driver after a race youll know they take a beating during a race. theyre exhausted, sweating bullets, sometimes dehydrated...

classify it as what youd like since it makes no difference to me but those guys are sick at what they do. (too bad its boring as hell)
afromangettindrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yankees SUCK » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:29 pm

Wrestling is far too low! Below basketball!? That is absurd. I know from experience that wrestling is much harder physically (strength, endurance, etc.) than ice hockey and football. I've never boxed, and I imagine that it is extremely tough, top 2 should definately be boxing/wrestling... I think its a tossup between those 2.
Yankees SUCK
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jumpman8288 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:39 pm

I think basketball requires more endurance than speed skating...endurance implies that its over a prolonged period, speed skaters don't skate for 40 minutes at a time.
[URL=http://http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7158944067217702636&q=new+born+muse]MUSE ROCK[/URL]
jumpman8288
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yogi » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:41 pm

Yankees SUCK Posted:
Wrestling is far too low! Below basketball!? That is absurd. I know from experience that wrestling is much harder physically (strength, endurance, etc.) than ice hockey and football. I've never boxed, and I imagine that it is extremely tough, top 2 should definately be boxing/wrestling... I think its a tossup between those 2.

Wrestling is tough but it is not an athletic sport. Sorry, compare the great basketball athletes to the great wrestling athletes....um Michael Jordan to ...Hulk Hogan?
Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical.
Yogi Berra
Yogi
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Amazinz » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:45 pm

Yogi wrote:
Yankees SUCK Posted:

Wrestling is tough but it is not an athletic sport. Sorry, compare the great basketball athletes to the great wrestling athletes....um Michael Jordan to ...Hulk Hogan?

LOL I think they are referring to Olympic-style wrestling. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby matmat » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:46 pm

we're not talking about wwe or whatever it is now (for the purposes of not getting confused with cute pandas). We are talking about the olympic sport of greco-roman wrestling. I believe that it is extremely hard and it probably ought to be up there around the martial arts and such... it's a cross between those and boxing...
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:06 pm

I think to be a great baseball player demands the most. I think it is harder to become a great, great baseball player than any other sport.

There are so many aspects of the game you need to account for. With football you can be a OLineman and just worry about blocking. Baseball you need to:

Hit a round ball with a round ball. The ball travels at speeds up to 100 MPH. Sometimes the ball curves, slows down, breaks in different directions, and sinks. You need to be ready for all of this within a split second.

You need to be able to catch. Within this category there are many sub-categories. You need to be able to catch a line drive or a ball coming at you on a straight line. You need to be able to catch a ground ball, whether it be right at you or to the sides. You need to be able to judge a fly ball or a pop up and make a decision where the ball is going. Not to mention you also have to catch it.

You need to be able to throw. You have to have a strong but more importantly ACCURATE arm.

You need to be smart. You need to know the thousands of situations. The number of outs, what base you are going to, different pitches thrown on different counts, when to take an extra base and what base to throw to ALL need to be accounted for. You need to know how to run the bases. You have to be able to slide without hurting yourself, and know the many rules of the game.

If you are trying to be a complete baseball player which I am describing, you need to have speed. You need to be able to run the bases and track down balls crushed into the gap.

There are so many aspects of playing baseball. Many more than other sports. The only thing about baseball is that you have people like John Kruk who does only 1 or 2 things well. But to be a COMPLETE, GREAT baseball player....that IS the toughest thing in sports to do.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers