Dontrelle Willis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dontrelle Willis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Erboes » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:37 pm

Not at all, Trans. I really mean when I say you have a good head on your shoulders and I highly respect your opinions. I apologize if I stepped on your toes a bit too harshly. I am not on as often as I used to for obvious reasons, but when I do find the time I get a bit upset sometimes on what I see being written that is going unchallenged. It used to be that if something incorrect or just plain stupid was written there'd be a bunch of the old guard to jump all over it. Now, there's just too much trash being written and not enough of those people to respond to them all. I just find it to be a shame, that's all.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ramble2 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:41 pm

Erboes, I think you are being a little hard on the Cafe over Willis.

First off, unless someone predicted that Willis was the next Pedro, everyone is probably pleasantly surprised at his performance thus far. I would also think that most people here believe Willis won't keep up this pace. Presumably you are thinking something similar, as it sounds as though you are thinking about trading 'high'.

Secondly, most of the discussion that I saw about Willis towards the end of last season and in the off-season was usually in relation to Webb. It was either "Webb or Willis for NL ROY?" or "Who would you take first/pay more for: Webb or Willis?" Cafe consensus, if I remember correctly, was that Webb was more deserving of the ROY if you go by stats alone. Cafe consensus was also that Willis was likely to go before Webb in a draft thanks to all the hype he got, but that many (if not most) Cafe members would rather have Webb.

I targeted Webb over Willis in my drafts. I may have been wrong, but given what we had seen of the two, I stand by my reasoning. But here's the thing: that doesn't mean I thought Willis was a bum. I thought Willis would end up ~3.5 ERA, 1.2 WHIP, 15 wins. Good numbers, but I thought Webb would be better.

The point is that Cafe conventional wisdom was that Willis would be taken too early in most drafts due to all the hype he got. But I don't remember too many people saying that they thought he'd be a bust, only that Webb was better. The context here is important.

As for Contreras - 12 team roto league, definitely should still be on a bench spot. H2H? It's a little dicier. 10 team roto? Probably still worth a spot if you have the bench space and don't have too many DL guys. 10 team H2H? You can't always be as patient as you'd like in a H2H format ...
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 66)

Postby Erboes » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:56 pm

I haven't been checking the site as often recently, but there was a thread a couple weeks ago that mentioned how over rated he was and they used his second half numbers as proof.

This was a theme that was echoed throughout the winter, although I am sure there were other things said about Willis, which I am sure is what you remember

Willis is a touchy subject with me because when people site Willis' second half the information is really incomplete. It was one month that he pitched badly in the second half, which I think was August. He finished out the year about as well as he started it.

I think this bad second half thing has been repeated so frequently that people believe it without giving it any thought. And you also found the same thing being echoed in some very expensive projection services which really gets me in an uproar.

In short, have I been too harsh on the Cafe? I'm always too harsh (I like myself that way), but I do expect a lot from one of my favorite sites so sometimes my harshness can get out of hand.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Great Scott(i)! » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:22 pm

Erboes wrote:I haven't been checking the site as often recently, but there was a thread a couple weeks ago that mentioned how over rated he was and they used his second half numbers as proof.

This was a theme that was echoed throughout the winter, although I am sure there were other things said about Willis, which I am sure is what you remember

Willis is a touchy subject with me because when people site Willis' second half the information is really incomplete. It was one month that he pitched badly in the second half, which I think was August. He finished out the year about as well as he started it.

I think this bad second half thing has been repeated so frequently that people believe it without giving it any thought. And you also found the same thing being echoed in some very expensive projection services which really gets me in an uproar.

In short, have I been too harsh on the Cafe? I'm always too harsh (I like myself that way), but I do expect a lot from one of my favorite sites so sometimes my harshness can get out of hand.

Seriously, lighten up homeboy. You're not the end all of fantasy baseball knowledge, stop acting like it. :-P Stop telling everyone their advice sucks, everyone is trash except a few select people you deem as worthy to be on your level, that's weak. Go somewhere else if we're all such morons, but stop posting this useless dribble about how wonderfully great you are and how crappy the majority of us are. No one wants to hear it. :-t
...what's one more year?
Great Scott(i)!
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:27 pm

Great Scott(i)! wrote:
Erboes wrote:I haven't been checking the site as often recently, but there was a thread a couple weeks ago that mentioned how over rated he was and they used his second half numbers as proof.

Seriously, lighten up homeboy. You're not the end all of fantasy baseball knowledge, stop acting like it. :-P Stop telling everyone their advice sucks, everyone is trash except a few select people you deem as worthy to be on your level, that's weak. Go somewhere else if we're all such morons, but stop posting this useless dribble about how wonderfully great you are and how crappy the majority of us are. No one wants to hear it. :-t

Take your own advice, Scott. This is uncalled for and unnecessary.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Great Scott(i)! » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:29 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
Great Scott(i)! wrote:

First of all, my name isn't Scott.

And uncalled for? Are you joking? This guy posts about how everyone is stupid? Trash? Morons? WTF? That's not uncalled for? Give me a break.
...what's one more year?
Great Scott(i)!
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Erboes » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:37 pm

Hey, what happened to "phycho elitist?" That has to be the greatest insult I've ever been called.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:37 pm

Great Scott(i)! wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:
Great Scott(i)! wrote:

First of all, my name isn't Scott.

And uncalled for? Are you joking? This guy posts about how everyone is stupid? Trash? Morons? WTF? That's not uncalled for? Give me a break.

Just don't attack specific people here.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:38 pm

Erboes wrote:Hey, what happened to "phycho elitist?" That has to be the greatest insult I've ever been called.

I have no idea what you are talking about. :-?
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers