Dontrelle Willis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dontrelle Willis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dontrelle Willis

Postby Erboes » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:35 am

It has been widely accepted as fact around the Cafe for many (OK, most) people that Willis was a flash in the pan. Have any of your very thoughtful opinions on him changed? I would prefer that there not be many "I knew he was for real" responses because, quite frankly, there weren't too many here who held that opinion.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Darkie Satchels » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:44 am

I'll agree. I did think he was a flash. After his lackluster post season performance against the Cubs, I really did see him as someone who might be good, but never great. But after witnessing his increasing likeness to the Babe - in that he can pitch and hit, I think he's something special in the league.

I feel they should play him more often in his off days as an outfielder.

Great indie Music Website: http://www.pensatos.com
Darkie Satchels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:48 am

Hey Erb,

I never expressed an opinion on him in the forums but I will admit that I was a little skeptical on him to start the season.

Most of that had to do with:

1) his splits 2.08 1.17 pre-all star and 4.60 1.40 post
2) his age
3) his delivery. it seemed possible that he was a trick pitcher and once batters got used to his funky motion they would catch up to him.

I must admit that I am completely impressed with him this season. Doing what he did against the Expos was nothing to brag but he captured the old magic against the Phills and Braves as well. Bravo!

That being said, if I owned him in any of my leagues (which I don't) and I was offered Dotel or Webb for him I would take it without hesitation.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 283)

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:51 am

Is this an "I told you so post" after less than a month? Jeez.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Darkie Satchels » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:02 am

Is this a bad blood issue? :-b

It is extremely early though, and Willis has tons to prove if he wants to garner the respect of everyone across the league including fans. Funny thing is - put him anywhere but Florida and he'd be talked about more than Janet Jackson's sunburst.

Does he deserve respect? Yes. Is it a bit premature to say "I told you so"? Yes. But damn - I bet it feels good to bask in the light until that flicker goes out once he cools off or pulls a hami - just like everyone else in the league.

Great indie Music Website: http://www.pensatos.com
Darkie Satchels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Erboes » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:09 am

No, it wasn't an "I told you post". It was actually intended to gauge the trade market for him since I own him in all my non-AL only leagues. It did, however, take a sarcastic turn because he is one of those players that most people were so sure and cocky about. Plus, I drew snickers when I purchased him in an auction for $12, which still irritates me.

I'll be honest with you, Trans, most of the talk on the Cafe is regurgited conventional wisdom that it does rile me up sometimes. It often drowns out the pearls of wisdom that is often missed due to the incessant blather that is, at best, useless or, at worse, dangerous.

OK, my ire is vented. Thanks for the posts, fellas.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

willis

Postby JOEG » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:12 am

I'm not sold on him, but he is impossible to not like and a great guy to cheer for, and hell he's had some great starts this year, I have him and am trying to trade him as I think his hitting and the lure of the Marlins are blowing his value up. If i can't get a great deal for him, i will be ok with him being probably a third starter for the year and getting about 15 wins 3.5 ERA and a bunch of K's.

PS those after allstar stats are a little off as he had a horrible august and a great september!
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:12 am

Erboes wrote:No, it wasn't an "I told you post". It was actually intended to gauge the trade market for him since I own him in all my non-AL only leagues. It did, however, take a sarcastic turn because he is one of those players that most people were so sure and cocky about. Plus, I drew snickers when I purchased him in an auction for $12, which still irritates me.

I'll be honest with you, Trans, most of the talk on the Cafe is regurgited conventional wisdom that it does rile me up sometimes. It often drowns out the pearls of wisdom that is often missed due to the incessant blather that is, at best, useless or, at worse, dangerous.

OK, my ire is vented. Thanks for the posts, fellas.

Well, to answer your question, I drafted him in the tenth round, I think, and then traded him off last week for Aubrey Huff. Willis is a very good pitcher, and I expect him to have a good year, but he was not last year's ROY. I expect good numbers, but not spectacular. Webb will have better numbers this year.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Erboes » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:38 am

You traded him for Huff? Holy cow, now I think I know why I find myself screaming at the screen when visiting the Cafe, the level of competition most of you play on stinks (I wonder how many people I offended with that comment?).

How to figure out if your league stinks:

If you find players such as Milton and Contraras on the FA market (like I read on another thread). This stuff isn't fantasy baseball, it's Twilight Zone baseball.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby T-Bone Costanza » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:46 am

Erboes wrote:If you find players such as Milton and Contraras on the FA market (like I read on another thread). This stuff isn't fantasy baseball, it's Twilight Zone baseball.

You're the one in the Twilight Zone. Contraras (sic) was and is on the wire in my league, and I'm sure many others. Did some owner in your league suffer through his awful starts against Boston?
T-Bone Costanza
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers