For everyone out there holding on to Nomar..... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

For everyone out there holding on to Nomar.....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

For everyone out there holding on to Nomar.....

Postby Bonehead » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:23 am

myself included, what is the general thought? Is he coming back for the career, contract year. Hope so as I also have Tejada and M. Young, but can only imagine the stats with Nomar at DH putting up some huge numbers.
Bonehead
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 35
Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Postby jebatzel » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:29 am

I think he will put up really good numbers when he comes back.

its a contract year and he should play his heart out.
Image
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3868
Joined: 15 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Carlisle, Pa

Postby thehat » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:23 am

Nomar has always played every play and every AB like it's his last one. That's one reason Red Sox fans like the guy so much. Therefore, the fact it's his walk year means zilch.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 3721
Joined: 1 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fabulous Las Vegas

Postby Great Scott(i)! » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:43 am

thehat wrote:Nomar has always played every play and every AB like it's his last one. That's one reason Red Sox fans like the guy so much. Therefore, the fact it's his walk year means zilch.


I disagree, at least about the latter part of what you had to say. Contract years mean big numbers, almost always. Nomar isn't outside this because he plays any harder than anyone else. I'd say his contract being up has a ton to do with it, concidering he won't be returning to the Red Sox.
Image
...what's one more year?
Great Scott(i)!
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 64
Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:47 am

Great Scott(i)! wrote:
thehat wrote:Nomar has always played every play and every AB like it's his last one. That's one reason Red Sox fans like the guy so much. Therefore, the fact it's his walk year means zilch.


I disagree, at least about the latter part of what you had to say. Contract years mean big numbers, almost always. Nomar isn't outside this because he plays any harder than anyone else. I'd say his contract being up has a ton to do with it, concidering he won't be returning to the Red Sox.


contract years mean zilch, zip, nada ....


there will be probably 250-300 free agents this offseason. According to you. They all should have career years, almost always right? The facts show otherwise
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31781
(Past Year: 757)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KULCAT » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:54 am

wrveres wrote:
Great Scott(i)! wrote:
thehat wrote:Nomar has always played every play and every AB like it's his last one. That's one reason Red Sox fans like the guy so much. Therefore, the fact it's his walk year means zilch.


I disagree, at least about the latter part of what you had to say. Contract years mean big numbers, almost always. Nomar isn't outside this because he plays any harder than anyone else. I'd say his contract being up has a ton to do with it, concidering he won't be returning to the Red Sox.


contract years mean zilch, zip, nada ....


there will be probably 250-300 free agents this offseason. According to you. They all should have career years, almost always right? The facts show otherwise


And about 90% of those free agents arent playing for a 12-14 million dollar pay day and get some respect back after their club shopped him around. Ill take Sparky Anderson´s "gimme 25 guys on a contract year...." line over the "facts" any day
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 1814
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Panama mi bella Panama

Postby thehat » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:20 am

Great observation by wrveres regarding the fact that there are always top players in contract years, and that clearly hasn't always translated into career year stats.

It's just one of those myths that sounds great, but doesn't really mean anything as a rule.

My point on Nomar is that it's impossible for a guy to play harder than he does, every game and every play. To suggest that he'll really turn it on now that he's got free agency awaiting him can only suggest that he hasn't played that way in the past. That's not the case, so there's no logic to your argument.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 3721
Joined: 1 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fabulous Las Vegas

Postby mobzz » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:20 am

Call me crazy...but I'll always go with "the facts" over a quote.
mobzz


Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby trac02 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:28 am

It's been demonstrated time and again that the "contract year effect" does not exist.

I may be going out on a limb here, but I think Nomar will put up good numbers because he is a good player who has put up good numbers in the past and will be hitting in a good lineup.
trac02
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 567
Joined: 27 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KULCAT » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:58 am

.

[
quote]My point on Nomar is that it's impossible for a guy to play harder than he does, every game and every play.


To suggest that he'll really turn it on now that he's got free agency awaiting him can only suggest that he hasn't played that way in the past. That's not the case, so there's no logic to your argument.[/quote][/quote]

I agree with this, Nomar plays as hard as anyone on the field. Im not saying the sole fact that he´s paluing for a big contract is gonna light up a fire under his ass. But i think the fact that he was shopped around and that the Red Sox had no problems replacing him with a player that earns more than twice his salary can serve as motivation, more or less than other players, but still motivation and that can only help in a season that is already tainted with injury
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 1814
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Panama mi bella Panama

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: buiviopaufamp and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact