Huge Trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Huge Trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Huge Trade

Postby Jungle Bookie » Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:39 pm

I was offered a monstrous trade in my league and I am always hesitant to make trades with so many people involved. Here it is:

I Get------>
Adam Dunn
Todd Helton
Jose Mesa
Odalis Perez
Mariano Rivera
Miguel Tejada

He gets----->
Nomar Garciaparra
Eddie Guardado
Shea Hillenbrand
Paul Konerko
Derek Lowe

I really like Todd Helton, Rivera, and Dunn. However Konerko, Garciaparra, Guardado, Hillenbrand, and Lowe have all been phenomemal thus far. I see Konerko as an ultimate up and comer. Right now I am thinking no deal. What do you guys think?

By the way...Hello to you all.
Jungle Bookie
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby it'sbeenawhile » Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:27 am

I often think it helps to divide a trade up by position and see how you end up in the end by looking at respective players individually:

So MY breakdown would be something along the lines of

1. Tejada for Garciaparra
As far as Nomar, there's not really any replacing him. However, if you had to choose a SS to replace him behind Jeter and A-Rod, I think Tejada would be one along with my man, Jimmy Rollins.

2. Helton for Konerko: With all due respect to Paul, this one is a gimme. So valuable, especially with that ballpark and that smooth swing.

3. Shea Hillendbrand for Adam Dunn: I think this part is a no go for you. Hillenbrand has proved he can play in this league and plays for a pennant contender which increases opportunity. While the Reds are a strong hitting club, I think a lack of playing time is going to affect his numbers--------------> interesting note: Gammons was talking about how the Phils should trade Rolen to Cincy for Casey and Sullivan (or anybody else in that awesome bullpen). That would allow Dunn to play 1st on a daily basis

4. Rivera for Guardado: I like Eddie a lot. His ERA and WHIP are indicative of a strong performance this year. However, Mariano still wins out because that cut fastball is just sooooo nasty.

5. Lastly, Mesa and Perez for D. Lowe: I don't know what to say about this one. Derek has long surpassed expectation and the interesting thing is he's being consistent as well. Perez is no pushover and still puts up respectable numbers. Plus, Mesa might make this one a push.

Trades with multiple players are always tricky. As far as this trade is concerned. if saves are a concern and you can find a suitable replacement at 3B, then I would highly consider taking this trade. If it's the opposite (ESPECIALLY finding someone to replace Hillenbrand), I would highly consider NOT taking this trade.

So, just some ideas you may want to consider

Later,
Shreeps
it'sbeenawhile

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:07 am

Great analysis by Shreeps. Just a couple more questions/comments:

What is your league's scoring, how deep is it, and can you make daily roster moves? Being in a shallow h2h league that puts a premium on starters might put a damper on this deal, for instance.

Who would you be dropping to free up a roster spot?

On the whole, I think the deal looks pretty good, assuming closers have value in your league. If you have another option at third, there doesn't seem to be much to gripe about. If you don't, try to rework it, perhaps by offering the player you would drop and allowing the other team to downgrade Dunn.

Welcome to the Cafe!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:43 pm

Thanks for your input already. The scoring is like this:

Batting--->
4 points- homerun
3- triple
2- double
1- single
2- stolen base
1- RBI
1- Run
1- Walk

Pitching---->
10 points- win
10- save
2- inning pitched
5- complete game
-.5 - hit
-1 - earned run
-.5 - walk

I am not sure what the term "shallow" means in fantasy baseball but it is a field of ten players, with a weekly head to head matchup, and all changes to the roster during the week take place for the next week. I would probably drop Shannon Stewart or Jermaine Dye to make room on the roster. As for the third baseman, I would probably pick up Hinske, seeing as he is the best one left.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Thu Jun 06, 2002 1:00 pm

Ok, thanks for the info. Under this format, the advantage of gaining an extra closer isn't as great as it would be with daily changes, but Rivera's value becomes even greater. Shreeps is right on the mark with his reasoning: if you can replace Hillenbrand fairly easily this looks good; if not, it needs to be reworked. Whether Hinske fits the bill is a tough question - I'd try to renegotiate before deciding that for myself. Losing Lowe's wins will hurt, but gaining Helton is absolutely huge, so it's worth a bit of haggling in order to make this happen.

All in all, I still like this deal. A tweak or two, and I think you have a winner.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby EugeneStyles » Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:56 pm

10 team mixed league is definitely shallow... basically just means that every team's starting lineup is gonna be stacked with superstars, because there are a bunch of MLB team's players going to just a few fantasy teams.

IMHO, I would probably want at least 20 teams before playing in a mixed league. That's why all my sportsline teams (actually, the only fantasy teams I have) are NL-only leagues. All sportsline leagues are 10 players, and I know more about the NL than the AL.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Return to Baseball Leftovers