A little insight about my team. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

A little insight about my team.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A little insight about my team.

Postby govlad » Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:09 pm

In 12 team 5x5 Yahoo league. Here are the players:

IF- Piazza, Olerud, L.Castillo, J.Hernandez, Chavez
OF- Pierre, Salmon, Mondesi
U- Vidro
Bench- J. Giambi (BOS), Kearns, Encarnacion

SP-Schilling, Mussina
RP- Williamson, Embree
P-Hudson, Oswalt, Buehrle
Bench- Groom, T. Worrell (SF)

What should I do with the 3 Marlins?
Could you rate my OF? Who is droppable? (Hidalgo, Payton are available)

Should I trade for a closer? Is S.Stewart worth picking up?

I know it's a lot of freaking questions but it's baseball season again. :-B Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks. Have a fun season folks!! ;-D
govlad

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby joshparrish » Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:08 pm

I would drop Giambi and Groom and pick up Payton and Stewart, but that is just me. Stewart will actually get some saves unlike Groom.

If this particular answer was helpful to you, click here.
(You can click on none or multiple replies in your thread.)
joshparrish
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:45 pm

I agree with what was said above. You could use a good closer, but otherwise you look solid. I'd find somebody on the scrap heap better than Worrell, but I suspect you know that.
Hank

Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Payton for Encarnacion?

Postby govlad » Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:59 pm

What about encarnacion? I don't know much about him. Drop him for Payton? Will pierre get his share of steals? Pierre for Ichiro?
With Giambi batting 5th behind Manny and Nomar, won't he have some decent numbers? He's 27 (ah! Vlad's number!) so he's supposedly going to have a decent year.

Thanx! ;-)
govlad

Postby hooligan1 » Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:58 am

I wouldn't get too excited about Little Giambi's possibilities; he's in the middle of that logjam the BoSox have at 1B/3B/DH/OF. He should never (NEVER) be mistaken for his brother and he may actually not even play every day......Pierre will certainly get his share of swipes; he's a basestealing machine, but no one is giving you Ichiro straight up for Pierre; maybe Juan and another pretty good bat or mid-range SP......maybe. Ichiro is very highly valued in most leagues (some might say overvalued) and many are loathe to part with him. Encarnacion is a pretty decent 3rd or 4th OF. He hits for pretty good AVG, gets a nice amount of HR and RBI and will snag a goodly amount of bases as well (probably 20-25). I would drop Mondesi to pick up some one else. Anybody who has seen my other posts knows that I'm not AT ALL high on Raul.....useless in my book. Just getting rid of Mondesi in any way, shape or form is addition by subtraction. Otherwise, I really like your lineup. Though you could use a power upgrade in the OF. I would look at Hidalgo closely the first few weeks of the season; depending on if he is healthy and where he is hitting in that stacked lineup, he could turn in a pretty good fantasy season for some savy owners.

Your SP rocks. How you managed to get those five starters on one team, I'll never know but it is pretty awe-inspiring. Unfortunately, your relief situation is a few degrees shy of awe-inspiring; you really need an upgrade here, although Embree actually being named the official closer (which has not happened yet) could really help you out. I would say Stewart is worth picking up, as he is likely to get some saves.

Hope this helps.......

Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby govlad » Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:58 am

thanks for the great in-depth analysis hooligan.

missed out on S. Stewart. J.Vazquez was dropped so I'm trying to get him for Groom. Best player available. Just added Villafuerte for Worrell. Which of my 5 prized SP should I trade? Looking at Benitez, Koch, Nen.

My position players are still the same. Think you're right about Mondesi but you just look at the lineup that he's in and think, he's got to get better numbers even if he whiffs half the time. Old age, injury risk so better to go with younger, safer player :-D

I'm looking to package him with another player for Berkman or Abreu. If not then I'm have to drop him. Any of these FA worth more to me than Raul?

Huff(will he qualify at 3B soon?), Casey, J.Phelps, Edgar Martinez. Unfortunately latter two only a DH position. Will they be eligible at 1B since ESPN rates them there?

Ciao! ;-D
govlad

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:18 pm

I would try dangling beurhle first to get a closer. He is a strong Sp but in my opinion at least a notch below your other guys.
Personally i would target Nen, benetiz, & Koch in that order.

Postby hooligan1 » Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:32 pm

Agreed, Beurhle first to try for a closer, then probably Hudson. I also agree that the order you should try is Nen, Benetiz and Koch.

I'm kinda high on Huff. If he's there, I believe he is definately worth picking up. He could be very big this year! It sounds as though he will soon have 3B eligibility, but it is a question right now. His value shoots through the roof in a lot of leagues, if he gains 3B. He is almost for sure a better use of a roster spot than Mondesi. Casey is allright; nothing special. Phelps and Edgar are decent, but you can only play them at UT and they are both question marks. Of the two, I'd probably go Phelps.....maybe? I do not believe they will qualify at 1B.

Holy cow! I can't believe someone dropped Vasquez. Get him now; unfortunately, everyone else probably also put in a waiver request for him......so depending on where your waiver priority is......

Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby Go vlad » Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:24 pm

I offered Buehrle for Nen. If not then I'll try for Benitez. Also offered Hudson and Encarnacion for Abreu.

Someone suggested on another post that I do Hernandez, Buehrle and Hudson or Oswalt for Jeter, Griffey and Benitez. Problem is that I'm not high on Griffey. Doubt he'll relenquish Ramirez. Teams are below.

Doubt I'll get Vazquez since I'm ninth on the waiver list.
What do you think? If the 2 trades don't go through then I might consider the Jeter trade. Unless, of course you see something else.

My team-------------Team A
C-Piazza-------------D.Wilson
1B-Olerud-----------Delgado
2B-L.Castillo---------T.Walker
3B-Chavez----------T.Batista
SS-Hernandez-------Jeter
OF-Kearns-----------Ramirez
OF-Encarnacion------Griffey
OF-Salmon-----------Nixon
U-Vidro---------------Sexson
B-Huff----------------Jordan
B-Giambi(BOS)------D.Roberts
B-Pierre

P-SChilling----------Morris
P-Oswalt------------Milton
P-Mussina-----------D.Wells
P-Hudson-----------Burkett
P-Buehrle-----------Jennings
P-Williamson--------Benitez
P-Embree-----------M.Rivera
P-Villafuerte---------Baez
P-Groom-------------F.Rod
P----------------------Eischen
Go vlad

Nen for Oswalt

Postby govlad » Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:56 pm

Guy counteroffered with Oswalt. Fair trade? Will Nen be okay with his injury (shoulder is it?)? I really like Oswalt however I heard that he's pitched a ton of innings the last few years.
;-D
govlad

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team