Are you for or against QuesTech? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Are you for or against QuesTech?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Are you for or against QuesTech?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:59 pm

Use it
31%
Don't Use it
69%

Total votes : 32

Postby KolbSaves » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:05 pm

subject to the caprices of maverick umpires
is that a straw man or an ad hominem attack? I can't tell

I understand what this guy sees as the ideal use of such a system, but the results have been those that I outlined above.

I doubt we'll agree, and I know that baseball fans and management seem to be split on it. The players and umpires aren't.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fishingmn » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:46 pm

KolbSaves wrote:The players and umpires aren't.

No - "pitchers" and umpires aren't.

Umpires don't want to be held accountable - well - that's not surprising is it.

Pitchers want to give umpires the ability to call balls strikes - that's not surprising either.

I'm guessing hitters would welcome a consistant strike zone that's called by the book.
fishingmn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby frog99 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:47 pm

either use it in all the parks or don't use it in any!
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby KolbSaves » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:55 pm

fishingmn wrote:
KolbSaves wrote:The players and umpires aren't.

No - "pitchers" and umpires aren't.

Umpires don't want to be held accountable - well - that's not surprising is it.

Pitchers want to give umpires the ability to call balls strikes - that's not surprising either.

I'm guessing hitters would welcome a consistant strike zone that's called by the book.

Umpires already are accountable, check my post a while back.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Are you for or against QuesTech?

Postby joeyaaaa » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:47 pm

I am against Questech. Professional sports is allowing technology to rule sports and the almighty dollar is at the root of it. Instant replay and Questech are bring the umpiring of games to their knees. With Questech in particular Umpires are changing what they call overtime...
joeyaaaa
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:04 pm

I am definitely in the anti-QuesTech camp. Why is there such a desire for everything to be uniform and perfect? And why stop at the strike zone? Shouldn't all dimensions and materials be uniform at major leage parks? Every park will be 330' down the lines, 370' in the alleys, and 415' to center with no odd angles in the outfield and only 8' high green, padded walls. No more brick or chain link, definitely nothing ridiculous like ivy or the Green Monster.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re:

Postby swyck » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:24 pm

matmat wrote:the problem with questec is that there is still the little geek behind the monitor that needs to set the batter's strike zone, after all, strike zones vary from hitter to hitter and the machine can't really tell where the knees start and the letters end.

Maybe they could measure the players you think?

I can't believe so many people are against it. Bad calls should be part of the game? %-6
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:41 am

The people who are against this confuse me so much, I have to assume they either haven't thought about what they are saying, or they have personal bias, such as experience as an ump. I would venture a guess not many people in any field would enjoy losing their job to a machine.

At any rate, if you are saying the human aspect is a "part of the game"... you're basically saying you enjoy watching a game more because you see a few wrong calls? Why would it be awful if only pitches over the plate got called as strikes? You actually like seeing a guy walk in the bottom of the 9th on a pitch fully over the plate, just because the ump changes his zone per sitaution?

This would NOT lead to higher scores in my view. People claiming it would make pitchers scared of the corners aren't considering all the 0-2 strikes that get called balls, or that many umps have a smaller zone than the rules call for. It would even out over time.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re:

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:20 am

KolbSaves wrote:They make up rules? Such as what?

They make up rules like "the strike zone goes from the waist to 4 inches above the knees" - not from the letters to the knees as they should.

I like Questech being used as an evaluation mechanism to grade and teach umpires. If an umpire is consistently calling strikes that are a foot out of the strike zone, he should be called on it and forced to fix it. Also, if an umpire has a very inconsistent strike zone where a pitch that is just outside the zone is a strike sometimes and a ball other times, based on the pitcher/hitter, he should be called on it too and forced to fix it. I'd never agree that Questech should be used during the course of an actual game, as there are many nuances that a machine will never consider.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:25 am

Art Vandelay wrote:I am definitely in the anti-QuesTech camp. Why is there such a desire for everything to be uniform and perfect? And why stop at the strike zone? Shouldn't all dimensions and materials be uniform at major leage parks? Every park will be 330' down the lines, 370' in the alleys, and 415' to center with no odd angles in the outfield and only 8' high green, padded walls. No more brick or chain link, definitely nothing ridiculous like ivy or the Green Monster.

Are you really suggesting that the players should be forced to GUESS what the definition of a strike is and isn't every time they step into the box/mound? That's insane. There is not a desire for everything to be perfect and uniform, you just want people to know what the rules are.

The comparison to parks being uniform makes no sense - when a player goes to Fenway or Coors or wherever, every player in the game knows EXACTLY what the dimensions are. If every umpire is free to make up his own strike zone, its a big mystery to everyone.

By your logic, an umpire could call strikes that are 5 feet out of the strike zone or that hit the dirt before the plate. What's the difference?
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers