Never Drop a Closer...just my opinion. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Never Drop a Closer...just my opinion.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Never Drop a Closer...just my opinion.

Postby The_Idiot » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:05 pm

I am extremely frustrated right now. A guy in my league dropped Danny Graves late last week. He picked-up Sergio Mitre. In my opinion, there is NEVER a reason to out-right drop a "starting" closer in a 12-team 5x5 Roto league. The guy could have gotten something for him in a trade. He basically has screwed with the competitive balance of our league.
Go OoooooOOOOoooooo'ssssss
Here we Go Steelers!!!
The_Idiot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sinicalypse » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:14 pm

yeah i agree, saves are probably the scrappiest stat in standard 5x5 roto. even bad closers can give you save #s, and i see it like, you ride the closers you have for as long as you have... if you've got two closers early on you try whatever you can to get anothger closer or two, hopefully having excess SP or offense to trade for it.

if you're on the flipside and you've got like more than 4 closers, i think one strategy is to ride them out for as long as you can, get a big chunk of save #s, then trade some of them to people who are more desperate for them as the season wears onward.

edit: the only reason i'd drop a closer is if they're not going to have a lot of ops, or if they're going to lose the job. for example last year i dropped kelvim escobar to pick up this kid dontrelle willis who was just about to pwn the reds for the 2nd consecutive start. the rest is history.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby kingman2003 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:17 pm

while i agree with you that dropping closers is not a good idea, it makes me crazy to hold onto one that is just sucking it up.

but b/c i don't want to drop them, or sit them b/c i think to myself how hard can it be to pitch one friggin inning, i end up screwing over my ration categories.

mesa comes to mind. i had him on a team last year and just kept playing him. he'd get lit up, and i'd say to myself, he must have got it out of his system. low and behold he gets lit up again.
kingman2003
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers