Little brother better than big brother - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Little brother better than big brother

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Little brother better than big brother

Postby Base Ballpickers » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:31 pm

I think M. Giles will be better than his older brother. What do you think?
"My job as a coach is to make you do what you don't want to do so you can become the man you want to be."
Base Ballpickers
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:41 pm

When Marcus puts together 6 seasons averging .300/35/100, maybe we have a debate. That's a ludicrous statement otherwise.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Erboes » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:41 pm

This winter I took a lot of crap when I posted a list of the top ten 2b's and I had Giles ahead of Boone. I stated at the time that Giles is a righthanded swinging Brian Giles and he'll put up close to the numbers his brother did, which is fantastic for a 2b. I think as soon as this year he'll put up similar numbers to what his brother did and probably better this season because of Brian hitting in what is turning out to be a big pitcher's park. Marcus Giles is the real deal.

Rotoguys
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LBJackal » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:44 pm

I thought this was going to be about Delmon or Jered. But I think Marcus has surpassed Brian in fantasy value. Unless your league counts retroactive stats all the way back to 1999, in which case that's a "ludicrous statement".

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Base Ballpickers » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:45 pm

stumpak wrote:When Marcus puts together 6 seasons averging .300/35/100, maybe we have a debate. That's a ludicrous statement otherwise.

Notice the WILL BE in my post.

past tense...present tense....future tense is hard to catch sometimes :-D
Last edited by Base Ballpickers on Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My job as a coach is to make you do what you don't want to do so you can become the man you want to be."
Base Ballpickers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Erboes » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:46 pm

I think it was you Jackal who was giving me the most crap about Giles, were you not? I'm glad to see you are as nimble with jumping from bandwagon to bandwagon as you are with running your mouth.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stumpak » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:52 pm

It is the first month of the season--I am not ready to put a stake through a guy who has been a top fantasy performer for a long time based on just one month.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:54 pm

No, I'm pretty sure it wasn't me. Good to see you're so nimble in making accusations.

It was me who said Larry Walker wouldn't get nearly 500 AB's, and Carlos Beltran is better than Vlad. Just to refresh your memory.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Base Ballpickers » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:57 pm

Erboes wrote:This winter I took a lot of crap when I posted a list of the top ten 2b's and I had Giles ahead of Boone.

Don't worry. I had giles over boone too....but that was taking into account the league settings that we had agreed on.
Base Ballpickers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Erboes » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:00 pm

stumpak wrote:It is the first month of the season--I am not ready to put a stake through a guy who has been a top fantasy performer for a long time based on just one month.

I would agree with this except for three points:

1) Most of us do not have the luxury of waiting a few years to see how everything shakes out. We need to make decision in the here and now and project how they'll look in the future.

2) Marcus was better than Brian last season, so you are not actually just using one month of the season's worth of stats.

3) Brian may be negatively effected by his new ballpark. It's too early to tell for sure, but Brian is already hitting half his average at home and half his slugging percentage as well. I do believe that as the weather warms up the new park will be less pitcher friendly, but I also believe it will never be close to neutral either.

If someone gave me a choice of Brian or Marcus right now I'd say Marcus without a doubt. You are right that 3 weeks isn't enough time to make that judgement, but when you are talking about one season plus those 3 weeks then things start becoming clearer.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers