Does Beckett Have More Value Than Mulder? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Does Beckett Have More Value Than Mulder?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Does Beckett Have More Value Than Mulder?

Postby rippz » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:09 pm

I have a feeling Beckett is going to get a huge amount of hype within his next few starts..... The Marlins are a lot better than I thought they would be.... Beckett will be a 20 game winner this year...

Does anyone else think so? Is Mulder worth giving away to get Beckett in a keeper league?
Last edited by rippz on Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rippz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rippz » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:31 pm

Bump....
rippz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dans » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:40 pm

I'd probably rather have Beckett.
Dans
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Erboes » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:44 pm

There'll be two big differences between Mulder and Beckett at the end of the season: Beckett with many more K's and Mulder with more wins. What I bet you'll see pretty soon is that Florida's offense will start really struggling and wins by their starters will be hard to come by. Oakland's offense will heat up a bit enough for wins by their starters to be more common place. I expect 18+ wins from Mulder and in the 14-16 range for Beckett. I could be wrong though.

Rotoguys
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kevdk » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:01 pm

I would rather have Mulder. Although Beckett is very good, he is a bit overhyped coming into this season. Mulder is more proven and is always gonna give you a good game.
kevdk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rippz » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:01 pm

What I bet you'll see pretty soon is that Florida's offense will start really struggling and wins by their starters will be hard to come by.

Why do you think that the Marlins offense will start to struggle?
rippz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Erboes » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:12 pm

Remember, they lost what were perhaps there two best hitters in Lee and Rodriguez from an average offensive team last season and I don't think they've come close to replacing them. Things aren't looking bad now, but I think their blemishes will soon start appearing. They scored about 4.5 runs a game last season when most everything went right, how many do you think they'll score when not everything is going right and without their two best hitters? That's just my hunch though.

Plus, this may sound crazy, but I think he's the type of pitcher who never gets a lot of runs support. I don't know how to explain it, but it's like Ryan and Pedro, it seems like their teams just sit back and watche them pitch. Conversely, pitchers like Willis will get 6 runs a game. This may be crazy talk, but it's just an impression. AND I COULD BE WRONG ABOUT THIS, but I always found it interesting that a player like Ryan could barely be a .500 pitcher despite his obvious talents.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Zen Boy » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:12 pm

This same issue was discussed in the preseason, and my answer is the same. Beckett is the higher risk/higher reward pitcher, and Mulder is the safer bet.

I wound up drafting both in one league and am happy with what they've done for me so far. However, I drafted Mulder before Beckett, mostly because we have CGs as a category.
Zen Boy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thetongueofire » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:47 pm

rippz wrote:
What I bet you'll see pretty soon is that Florida's offense will start really struggling and wins by their starters will be hard to come by.

Why do you think that the Marlins offense will start to struggle?

if you look at the Marlins offense as of today, almost everyone everyone important in their linup has been hot or doing his job and a few the of guys who weren't expected to do good have been pretty strong (Choi, Redmond, Nunez). even their pitchers have been hitting teh cover of the ball (Dontrelle reference ;-) ). and after all that, they're scoring a lil bit over 4 runs per game. so def expect their team offense to decline a little.

and as for the Mulder v. Beckett debate... id go with Mulder too but not by much.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GucciBaseballs » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:50 pm

I agree that the marlins lost hitting last year but i think with a healthy lowell and emerging cabrera the marlins offense will not lose a step. Lets remember the A's lost tejeda in the offseason. Mulder was a consensus higher pick in the offseason, but now i would definetly have Beckett. I think he will put up better numbers across the board.
"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
- Sir Winston Churchill
GucciBaseballs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers