Yahoo's O-Rank & Rank - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo's O-Rank & Rank

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo's O-Rank & Rank

Postby Amazinz » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:07 am

Can anyone tell me what the difference between these two are and what they stand for? Is O-Rank overall rank? For instance, they currently have Pujols with Rank 19, O-Rank 1 and Bonds is listed at Rank 1, O-Rank 2? :-?
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:09 am

Yep, I think basically Yahoo writers or whatever decide O-Rank, whereas Rank is simply determined by stats. You should look at both things, but focus a little more on Rank. Afterall, even when a player like Pat Burrell started out really cold last year, his O-Rank was high, b/c everyone thought he would snap out of it. It's not always right.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby jpbusta » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:09 am

I think O-rank is the preseason draft rankings and Rank is the ranking based upon their performance so far, and Richie Sexson just went up to number 4. :-D :-D
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:16 am

I thought it was offseason rank originally but we have a thread going on about it on our keeper league forum and everyone seems to think that was wrong. So I figured I'd ask here. I don't put a lot of stock in any of their rankings anyway. :-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ktown » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:22 am

i think O-rank is a cumulative rank for this year plus the past 2 seasons. i'm not sure how they have it weighted, but it's probably something like 60-30-10 or 50-30-20.

rank is just this year.

that's why guys who were hurt last year like vladdy and unit had a low o-rank in the preseason.

always take the o-rank with a grain of salt. it's based solely on the past numbers, not future potential.
ktown
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Krassotti » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:07 pm

I have no clue how they do it and I don't like their O-Rank at all but I remember Sanders was something like rank 70ish pre-season and now is O-Ranked in the 40s
Krassotti
College Coach
College Coach

Postby EricF » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:17 pm

I think ktown got close to the answer.

Yahoo itself says O-Rank is "Player's overall Yahoo! Sports ranking (based on current and prior seasons)." I have understood that to mean last year and this year. It does change during the season, giving more weight to the current season as it goes along.

Yahoo defines Rank as "Player's ranking based on stat filter selected." I've never been exactly sure, but I think it uses the categories used by your league to make its ranking, based on the current season, the past month, the past week, or whatever you choose.
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fezzik » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:28 pm

EricF wrote:I think ktown got close to the answer.

Yahoo itself says O-Rank is "Player's overall Yahoo! Sports ranking (based on current and prior seasons)." I have understood that to mean last year and this year. It does change during the season, giving more weight to the current season as it goes along.

Yahoo defines Rank as "Player's ranking based on stat filter selected." I've never been exactly sure, but I think it uses the categories used by your league to make its ranking, based on the current season, the past month, the past week, or whatever you choose.

I think ktown had it right about Yahoo using more than one prior season when determining O-Rank.

Also, I'm almost positive that the "Rank" is based soley on Yahoo's standard 5x5 categories, and doesn't take into account other customized categories...Last year I was in a league with putouts, fld%, holds, and CG's...and the ranks were identical to my standard 5x5 league. ;-D
Last edited by fezzik on Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Strasil42 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:35 pm

what are the best rankings out there?

Im new to fantasy baseball and usually just look at yahoo. Where could i find the best list?
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Yahoo's O-Rank & Rank

Postby sinicalypse » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:41 pm

Amazinz wrote:Can anyone tell me what the difference between these two are and what they stand for? Is O-Rank overall rank? For instance, they currently have Pujols with Rank 19, O-Rank 1 and Bonds is listed at Rank 1, O-Rank 2? :-?

yahoo sage orlando o'oefenstein ranks all the players before the season and as a tribute to double O, it's the O-rank.

nah. as it's prolly been said 16 times by now, o-rank is the beforetheseason rankings, rank is the current ranking based on this year's statistics
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Return to Baseball Leftovers