How valuable are closers in head2head leagues? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How valuable are closers in head2head leagues?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How valuable are closers in head2head leagues?

Postby XTSilver » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:06 am

I read the interesting point of view on closers but i noticed he said he based that on a roto league? Does their respective value change for a head2head league? I have Wagner and Foulke on my team and need some big help in my lineup and rotation. I'm considering throwing the saves cat and trying to trade them for power and starters but I want to make sure I can get as much as possible for them.
XTSilver
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:14 am

Depends on what kinda H2h system you play. I play CBS format H2h points league and pitchers get 10pts for a save or W. So our format I would think would favor closers. SP may only pitch once or twice a wk. If they blow it you're done. Closers have the opp every night to get a save. All though it wont happen that they get a save every night.. your chances of getting those 10pts for a S or W is greatly increased. 2pts/IP,1pt/K, -.5 for Hit or BB, -1 for ER. Schmidt got me the Win tonight for a total of 19points. The guy im facing got 12 from Beneitez for .1 IP,S,K. So i think it depends on what kind of H2H you play.. but for our system its very valueable for closers. I have 3 btw. Foulke,Rhodes,Nathan. I'm 2nd in overall points. Another guy went all closers.. drafted 1st 4rds closers. He's 2nd in the standings.. 6pts overall. He chooses wrong ones every week.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby XTSilver » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:18 am

Our league is head2head with the classic 10 categories. W, Sv, ERA, WHIP, Ks for the pitchers.
XTSilver
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:22 am

Assuming a standard 5X5 league, I would place slightly more emphasis on a stud closer in a H2H league. Over the course of the season (roto), most closers will even out but in a H2H week, a stud like Gagne has a better chance to carry you rather than a Kolb. Of course, there are some variables. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby XTSilver » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:28 am

Many people in my league feel that closers are over rated and should be left for the later rounds. I just talked to two guys who both feel they aren't worth a great bat or top starter. He said "no way" to a foulke or wagner for mulder trade. Can you give me an idea of what kind of talent i should be expecting for foulke or wagner? Out of Renteria, Prior, Oswalt, Delgado, AJones, and RJohnson which would you say would be good/bad/fair/unfair value for my guys?
XTSilver
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:08 am

If you many people in your league feel that they arent worth much and you do.. Then you should look for something else to trade with. Foulke,Wagner are valuable no matter what format. Low ERA,Whip Good K per IP plus they'll get a few wins along with all their Saves. If you cant get what they're worth in a trade you shouldnt trade em IMO.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:36 am

Thats a tough situation you are in. Personally, in H2H formats like yours I downgrade the elite closers a bit too. Dont get me wrong - I ALWAYS have 5 closers playing everyday if possible, I just dont go after the "elite". The reason that the elite closers are downgraded is because their ERA and WHIP, while valuable over an entire season, I perceive to be less valuable one week at a time.

If I were you I would be going after position players or SP - depending on need - that are currently underperforming. Out of the guys you mentioned above, I see Oswalt, RJ, and Delgado to be too expensive for one of your closers straight up. That leaves Prior, Renteria, and AJones. Id be careful of trading for Prior right now.

In a 10 team h2h5x5 league I am in someone was in a similar situation - he overdrafted closers early and ended up with Gagne and Rivera. Last week he was able to deal Gagne and Koch for Thome - and I personally think he got the better end of that one.

Good luck.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby XTSilver » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:27 pm

I got moose for wagner. What do you think of that?
XTSilver
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Baseballer02 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:38 pm

XTSilver wrote:I got moose for wagner. What do you think of that?

Good job. ;-D
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Return to Baseball Leftovers