Brandon Larson: Is he for real? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brandon Larson: Is he for real?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brandon Larson: Is he for real?

Postby reenum » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:09 am

I currently have Ensberg as my 3B, so all of you know I desperately need help.

Is Larson a viable option? I checked out his minor league numbers and they were solid. Still, I'd like to get all of your opinions.
I never smile if I can help it.... Showing one's teeth is a submission signal in primates. When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life.
reenum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehat » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:22 am

Minor league numbers are often misleading, and I think Larson may be a flop again at the big league level. One of the things that troubles me greatly about Larson is the fact that it took him a long time to master each level along the way. First round pick in '97, opened at AA, got demoted to A for a year and a half, AA for another year and a half, and then what amounts to three full years at AAA. He'll be 28 next month. When factoring in his draft status, that's painfully slow progress, and not the type displayed by a bona fide prospect. I think he's better than the disaster of a year ago, but pretty limited overall. Book on him is that he has a real problem with even middling breaking balls, and his free swinging tendencies mean he won't see the fastballs he likes.

As far as recently promoted 3B's go, I'd much rather have Chad Tracy.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby d18Mike » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:26 pm

I currently have Ensberg as my 3B, so all of you know I desperately need help. Is Larson a viable option? I checked out his minor league numbers and they were solid. Still, I'd like to get all of your opinions.

If it makes you feel any better, I was in the same position and I picked Larson. I'm waiting to activacte him until next week if Ensberg continues to slump. Hard to believe Larson can be much worse.

I've read that he is
still
considered by many to be a top prospect. But as Thehat points out correctly, it has been slow plod through the minors.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby EricF » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:06 pm

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I think Larson continues his hitting ways from AAA Louisville. He got in a groove there, and it should continue. He has absolutely nothing to prove at AAA; he tears up pitching there. So he should be a solid option at the MLB level.
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

tal

Postby JOEG » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:20 pm

This is total JOEG speculation but being a right handed hitter as was Austin Kearns who of course got hurt and is our for a long time. Autin even when struggling was inserted 4 ths inbetween Junior and Casey/Dunn to break up the lefty run... I wonder if Larson will get that spot? If so thats a nice spot to be in as those three lefties are hitting the shitte out of the ball - just a thought
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers