Give up on Contreras???? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Give up on Contreras????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Give up on Contreras????

Postby Fantstud » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:47 pm

Its either Riley/ Affeldt or Contreras getting dumped.

I'm leaning toward Contreras because he looks lost. I'm not looking at the tipping of the pitches because thats the flavor of the month for everyone doing bad.

Any Ideas???I hate waisting a 12th round pick.

No bench spots
Last edited by Fantstud on Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fantstud
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby soylent green » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:03 pm

I would drop riley. (if you have a bench spot for conteras) he is still has a good k/ip ratio. and if he gets right he will get alot of w
If you don't see the sucker at the table in the first 5 min.
soylent green Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RynMan » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:11 pm

i would drop contreras last out of those guys.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Curro » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:16 pm

Contreras has so much upside potential, I hate dropping him just yet. For my team I'm giving Contreras one more shot. Last year I think he was 0-2 against the Red Sox and 7-0 against everyone else. I don't know what it is but Boston just destroys this guy! If he can't put in a halfway respectable outing on Wednesday against Oakland, it's adios Jose.

Dropping Riley might be worth it, but it depends on who you'd be picking up.
Curro
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby G-Man » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:47 am

don't hang onto contreras b/c of of "upside". matt riley also has "upside". i do agree that contreras will improve but i wouldn't tie up a roster spot with him just b/c he pitches for the yankees. who else is available? i would like a guy like adam eaton for example over contreras.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Great Scott(i)! » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:42 am

Contreras? Upside? :-?

The guy is pushing 40, I don't care what his papers say. He's got no upside as a starter and he's pitching his way out of that rotation. He's been nothing but terrible or injured for his entire, albeit short, major league career.

Dump Contreras and run for the hills, the guy is a lemon. :-t
...what's one more year?
Great Scott(i)!
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Joe Mauer » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:30 pm

This is a tough one, and truely, there is no wrong decision here. However, I'd lean towards dropping Riley at this point.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby Melo255 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:09 pm

No way out of that group you drop Contreras. Do you remember what his season numbers were last year? Awesome that's what. He started last year looking terrible and turned it around extremely well. He is going to be a solid starter for your team very soon. Riley is the flavor of the month. He has 'upside' but don't for a minute think that the Orioles are going to be a game and a half out of first for much longer. They aren't a very good team and when everything evens itself out look for them at the bottom of the AL East with Riley a very mediocre pitcher. My 2 cents.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Great Scott(i)! » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:29 pm

Melo255 wrote:No way out of that group you drop Contreras. Do you remember what his season numbers were last year? Awesome that's what.

Awesome? Against who?

Tampa Bay (1.80 ERA) and Cinncinati (2.57 ERA), oh and his one start against the ChiSox.

Boston? 24.92 ERA in two outtings. 1 start. They hit .421 off of him.
Toronto? 3.94 ERA in six outtings. 1 start.

Annnd that's it. Who did he do well against in the preseason? Tampa Bay AND Cinncinati. So this guy's stats last year mean jack. It means he pitches well against crappy teams and he gets pounded by teams that can hit. This year?

ChiSox - 5 ER in 5.1IP, 3BB
RedSox- 3 ER in 2.1IP, 2BB (pulled, thank you Joe Torre.)
RedSox - 5 ER in 3.1IP, 4BB

Combined for! 10.64 ERA, 11.0 IP, 11K and 9BB, 0-3 in 3 starts (This 0-3 stat in three starts speaks volumes concidering he only lasted 5, 3 and 5 innings respectively, showing when he pitches poorly the Yankees aren't given the chance to win, they get behind fast and cannot recover with no long relief.) Wow, what a killer.

The only positive is that he strikes out a batter an inning, but that's offset by the fact that he WALKS a batter an inning. The Yankees have no middle relief worth using or long relief, they need innings and chances to win out of this guy and he can't even give them that. His stats say he sucks, bad. Unless of course you're pitching him against teams with no teeth, then he's great. Hell, I think one of his games he did great in ST this year was a SS game.

Drop Jose Contreras no matter what you do between the three? Try to move them all. Riley is your best bet for anything, Affy is trash and Contreras is worse.
...what's one more year?
Great Scott(i)!
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Erboes » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:47 pm

That's is a ridiculous post. If a guy has an ERA of 10 against three teams but an ERA of 2.00 against everyone else, then only start him against everyone else. I don't think there's anything complicated about that. Don't drop Contraras or you'll feel really stupid very soon.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers