Met Andy Pettite tonight - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Met Andy Pettite tonight

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rolenfan » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:21 am

Life is good in Ole St. Lou - not a more player-friendly town in the world! Players leave here and play somewhere else, then come back here after retirement. Players that get traded often cry, and some have retired rather than play somewhere else.
"You can observe a lot by watching" Yogi
rolenfan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Patella Tendon » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:36 am

Met Bill (Moose) Skowron several times at Arlington Park in IL.

The nicest guy you ever saw. Willing to talk, take pictures, and sign anything.

The only time he looked unhappy is when nobody was paying attention to him.
Patella Tendon
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Captain Jack Sparrow » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:43 am

DominicanLou wrote:I also met Arod while growing up in Miami. Right after the draft, he was practicing at the same park where I played little league ball. I went up to him and got his autograph on a baseball. I kept the ball on my desk at home, and one day when I got back from school the ball was missing. I asked my smaller brothers where my Arod ball was and they said they had no idea I even had one, but that they had played catch that day with the ball on my desk. :-o I found the ball in a bucket where we keep all my baseballs and low and behold, the signature was erased :~(

Lets just say my brothers owe me one.

and then your brothers went every day to James Earl Jones' house to talk baseball with him, even though he had a rabid baseball-eating dog in the back yard. And after a few weeks he gave them a ball autographed by the entire yankees team...right?
Captain Jack Sparrow
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KolbSaves » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:39 pm

that movie is sweet
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:41 pm

Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:
DominicanLou wrote:I also met Arod while growing up in Miami. Right after the draft, he was practicing at the same park where I played little league ball. I went up to him and got his autograph on a baseball. I kept the ball on my desk at home, and one day when I got back from school the ball was missing. I asked my smaller brothers where my Arod ball was and they said they had no idea I even had one, but that they had played catch that day with the ball on my desk. :-o I found the ball in a bucket where we keep all my baseballs and low and behold, the signature was erased :~(

Lets just say my brothers owe me one.

and then your brothers went every day to James Earl Jones' house to talk baseball with him, even though he had a rabid baseball-eating dog in the back yard. And after a few weeks he gave them a ball autographed by the entire yankees team...right?

I was about to say the same thing.

"Who's Babe Ruth?" :-D

And a couple cool basketball stories:

I know a guy in the Dominican (no, not that Lou guy) and he's friends with Felipe Lopez, the baketball player, and also Carlos Arroyo (he's from Puerto Rico, but visits him in the DR in the summer). I've been a fan of Felipe's since his rookie season, have tons of his cards (almost every single one made - a very expensive collection) and every tiem he came to Toronto I went to see him, wearing one of his jerseys (I have 3 of them). One time, I asked Carlos (the guy in SD, DR) to tell Felipe I was going to be looking for him, and I talked to him briefly at half time, and and he said he'd come over to sign my jersey after the game.

Then one time, while walking around NYC with my friend, we walked past this huge white guy, who looked a lot like Matt Harpring, my friend's favourite player. I didn't think much of it, since I could have cared less, but my friend wasn't sure if he should have chased him down (it was right in front of the hotel from "Home Alone II"). That night we checked what team the Sixers (team he was playing for at the time) were playing, and it turned out they were playing the Knicks, in New York. I'm sure there are tons of more famous people we coudl ahve met, but to see an obscure basketball player, who just happened to be his favourite player, was kinda weird.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:11 pm

Some years back, I went on a school field trip for disadvantaged kids. Funny that only one of our 10 person group was disadvantaged. Well, the trip was to Dodger stadium and we got to go on the field and watch batting practice with the team. Got to meet Tommy Lasorda (who was managing the Dodgers at the time) and shake his hand, autographs, talk with him.. the works. Wonderful man. Two other Dodgers came over to meet with us but they were no-namers hehe.

Kirk Gibson gave us the cold shoulder though lol.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Zito is God » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:23 pm

All these stories make me feel bad cause I never met or seen anyone *except at games)...

How do you guys do it? :-D

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby rolenfan » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:27 pm

Zito is God wrote:All these stories make me feel bad cause I never met or seen anyone *except at games)...

How do you guys do it? :-D

Three easy steps:

1. Get involved in any kind of kids charitible activity;
2. Go where they are - top restaurants, their kids' ball games (Dierdorf's daughter is a three-letter, four year varsity athlete that just got a scholarship to, you guessed it, Michigan), awards dinners
3. Move to St. Louis
"You can observe a lot by watching" Yogi
rolenfan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DominicanLou » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:27 pm

One more fact, my grandmother in the Dominican lives next to Sammy Sosa. I always stay with her when I go down there, but I never see Sammy because I always go on vacation over the summer, which is during baseball season, so he is never there.

I need to plan a trip over winter break sometime so I can meet him.
DominicanLou
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers