Met Andy Pettite tonight - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Met Andy Pettite tonight

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thetruth » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:26 am

as long as we're throwing in celebrity meetings.. at fenway last season chris berman threw out the first pitch one game. me and 3 other friends weren't sitting too far away so we tried to go up and talk to him but got denied by security guards :~( . but when he was leaving the park we followed him around for like 20 minutes chanting swami! swami! swami!. !+)
thetruth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:34 am

I've been to some fine eateries in Pennsylvania as well. Jim's Steak's in Philly (had two cheesesteaks - it's worth the drive form Toronto), as was already mentioned, and Primanti's in Pittsburgh (coleslaw, fries, and a whole lotta meat all inside the sandwich). You Americans sure know how to eat!

Anyways, I met a few Jays, like Delgado at the mall, and the whole team when I got to sit in the dugout for about an hour before the game.

My uncle is a cop so I guess somehow he has conenctions to a few hockey players, such as Jamie McCoun (I doubt anybody knows who he is), and Theo Fleury (before he went crazy).

I also met Shaquille O'Neal at a private rooftop party last year, where he was doing an interview for a local radio station. My friend's mom work's there and she got them to let me in B-) An old asian lady asked me to take a picture of her with Shaq, and the next week in school, my little asian friend tells me about his aunt who got her picture taken with Shaq, at a rooftop party at a radio station. He was surprised when I told him who the photographer was :-b Also on that trip, which was in the building where the Blue Jays' owner (Ted Rogers) works, I got to snoop around his office, which contains his own bedroom, and lots of other cool stuff that we played with for a bit. He was on a trip at the time :-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby KolbSaves » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:40 am

Jamie Macoun played his last two years with my Wings!
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:57 am

Hmmmm, I thought he finished with the Leafs. My uncle knows him from his Calgary Flames days anyway. Same reason he knew Theo (got called to his house for a break in, and stayed to chat for a while). Just checking on Macouns's profile, and he was born in Newmarket, where my dad was born. Cool.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Sevillano » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:02 am

I've met a quite a few players too, but the only real cool story out of them was partying with Karim Garcia. I'm more of a Red Sox sympathizer (I hope they win this year) than a fan, but I understand if they're angry about what happened in the bullpen last postseason. Know this though, Karim is a real cool guy, very laid back, but fun to be around. I won't bore with the details here, but suffice to say it was a great time.

Actually there is another story that's possibly even cooler than that, but it involves a terrible ex-Yankees prospect turned Cowboys QB...

Anyway, I haven't met any active all-star baseball players that I can think of...just a bunch of retired all-stars at the HOF and autograph signings. Something interesting along those lines: I guess when Vlad Guerrero was in Montreal he used to take the subway from time to time because no one would recognize him anyway. Could you imagine meeting Vlad the Impaler on the subway?!
Sevillano
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LBJackal » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:05 am

I think all the Expos take the subway. They don't have a lot of extra money for limos, and nobody in Montreal could recognize any of them anyway :*)

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:08 am

jbones733 wrote:I also met Deke Mutumobo after a knick game but, he cant speak much english

He can speak about 10 languages, and he couldn't even spit out soem english? :-? He always sounds so funny when he talks too

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Sevillano » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:12 am

LBJackal wrote:I think all the Expos take the subway. They don't have a lot of extra money for limos, and nobody in Montreal could recognize any of them anyway :*)

Haha, good point. I went to quite a few Expos games back in the day, and now I'm wishing I made an effort to meet Vlad. I'm not sure how that would have turned out, but I do remember security being extremely lax especially when compared to other pro parks, and meeting someone with as much raw talent as Vlad would have been amazing.
Sevillano
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DominicanLou » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:43 am

I saw Ray Lankford at Outback Steakhouse here in St Louis.

Yes, THE Ray Lankford.

Funny how he is at Outback while Pettite is at Ruth Chris'.
DominicanLou
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:30 am

Pettitte you say?? Never heard of him. ;-)

afromangettindrunk wrote:my uncle has a company in boston and he won the opportunity at an auction. it was for two people to be led out to throw a pitch. (the second person was my grandmother who stood on the mound with my cousin).

And I bet that your grandmother can throw harder than Damon. :-D

LBJackal wrote:
jbones733 wrote:I also met Deke Mutumobo after a knick game but, he cant speak much english

He can speak about 10 languages, and he couldn't even spit out soem english? :-? He always sounds so funny when he talks too

Did you ever hear Howard Stern do a sound bite of Mutombo and then the same for Cookie Monster?? Funny. :-D :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers