Jack Wilson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jack Wilson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

intersting

Postby JOEG » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:49 am

In my points league - he is the second best SS behind Mike Young!!

Funny he's right above Tejada (who is ahving a very nice year) so I matched them up and got a good chuckle (FYI don't take this as me saying he could even wear Tejada's jock) but

Wilson 397/2/8/3
Tejada 329/2/12/0

Whats with SS this year, not saying my points league is the bench mark but check this leaderboard out

1. Young
2. Wilson
3. Tejada
4. Guillen 8-o
5. Everett
6. Lugo
7. Matsui
8. Iztruis :-o
9. Womack
10. Clayton

Other notables
14. Renteria
16. AROD
25. Jeter :-t
26. Furcal :-t
37. Rollins :-D

I know this will get shaken up rel quick but its sure funny
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:48 am

I like Wilson. It's not like he came out of nowhere. He hit .256-9-62-5 last year, not bad for a SS.

His batting average should come up when you consider that his career minor league BA was .318.

He will cool off but he is a top 10 ss IMO.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

nice

Postby JOEG » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:53 am

Nice to see a positive reply on Wilson being ok this year.

Never knew he hit so good in the minors, always thought he was known only for his glove. Thanks Mookie
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

J. Wilson

Postby cubsn04 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:01 pm

Interesting discussion... why trade a guy who is having an awesome year thus far. I drafted Jeter, but quickly discovered he was not going to perform so I grabbed Wilson about 10 days back. He has done nothing but perform. I was just offered a trade for Jeter...... C. Wilson another Pit guy for Jeter. I'm leaning towards doing the deal.... J. Wilson has made Jeter expendable and C. Wilson is very valuable as a multi Posit player also having a good start. Bottom line Jeter may get his act together soon but his #'s will likely not exceed J Wilson at season end.
cubsn04

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

p

Postby JOEG » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:05 pm

My prediction for Wilson right now is 305/8/55/12 for the year, which i don't think is out of line at all, and as far as Jeter getting here with that start - probably rather trade him and get some help somewhere else

As far as people saying trade him? Who are you going to get for him? Unless you are trading him to a complete idiot, right now you are not going to get much for him.
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fantasy » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:53 pm

He batted over .300 during his minor league career so his BA could eventually be good over a whole year. This is only the start of his full 3rd season. One thing that sucks, his career OBP sucks (including minors). His highest seasonal OBP was .306 in 2002. And playing in Pitts he isn't going to score that many runs anyway, then add in that he doesn't get on base that much. If he can't score runs, what does he do, other than hit for avg?
fantasy

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:44 pm

You're right that he doesn't draw many walks but this gets us into the same argument that we have had in the cafe a number of times regarding Soriano - how much do you devalue a guy for striking out and not taking a BB.

In a roto league that counts OBP or runs you will have to devalue Wilson a little bit. I do believe that his OBP will improve this year. He is currently at .408, not terrific but not terrible.

In a points league his OBP will make a negligible difference to his value unless there is some weird formula for points.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stumpak » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:46 pm

Do you remember Gonzalez last year? Torrid in the first few months, but medicore over the course of year. This will be Wilson. He is not a top tier SS, he is not even anywhere near a top 10 SS.

He is a good plug in guy, but I can't believe some idiot traded Renteria for him and White--I would have protested the hell out of that trade.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:52 pm

stumpak wrote:Do you remember Gonzalez last year? Torrid in the first few months, but medicore over the course of year. This will be Wilson. He is not a top tier SS, he is not even anywhere near a top 10 SS.

Why do you say this? Just a gut feeling or are you going on something more?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby stumpak » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:30 pm

What in his history has indicated that he perform at a top 10 level? The point I am making is that every year some guy who has never really done anything has a hot start, and people get very excited and start dropping proven players for him, and then he fizzles out. He has a career .252 batting avg and 18 measley HRs over 1800 ABs--what possibly can make you think that over the course of a full season you can expect anything better than .270/15 HRs? Even that would be a huge leap in performance out of the blue, and last I checked, that is not top 10 SS territory.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers