John Kruk vs. Harold Reynolds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

John Kruk vs. Harold Reynolds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby sinicalypse » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:55 pm

it's pretty obvious to me that john kruk is just trying to have a schtick as being the edgy out on a limb guy on baseball tonight. i saw a promo for the show where they featured him saying "hey, i'm going to say whats on my mind and sometimes people wont like it" which to me is crying for the type of personality that would have suited him best on the best damn sports show (yeah we all love eric dickerson, don't we?)

still, he's no jeff brantley or tim kurkjian, both of whom i hate. brantley's an idiot, and kurkjian is always in love with something and always speaks up everything in the game, takes time to make love to every topic that comes up, and you can tell is just a goody goody two shoes schmuck who's out to talk up everything in the game at any possible juncture and ride the coattails of others' success that he slobbers over on a daily basis.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KolbSaves » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:04 pm

don't feel like reading the whole thread but Kruk is terrible, he's just Tom Arnold with a baseball career behind him
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tal1286 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:28 pm

sinicalypse wrote:it's pretty obvious to me that john kruk is just trying to have a schtick as being the edgy out on a limb guy on baseball tonight. i saw a promo for the show where they featured him saying "hey, i'm going to say whats on my mind and sometimes people wont like it" which to me is crying for the type of personality that would have suited him best on the best damn sports show (yeah we all love eric dickerson, don't we?)

still, he's no jeff brantley or tim kurkjian, both of whom i hate. brantley's an idiot, and kurkjian is always in love with something and always speaks up everything in the game, takes time to make love to every topic that comes up, and you can tell is just a goody goody two shoes schmuck who's out to talk up everything in the game at any possible juncture and ride the coattails of others' success that he slobbers over on a daily basis.

1st paragraph-i agree completely

2nd paragraph- you're a complete idiot and need to not be so incredibly stupid and angry

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: Berman and other annoyances

Postby tal1286 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:29 pm

jmo wrote:While were on the topic of Baseball Tonight, am I the only on that is annoyed with Ravich when he calls Podsednick, Posiden Adventure and Bagwell, Bagpipes, and Yard Work. Quit the slang Karl, leave it "Boo-yaa Stuey" and Berman. It's a tired bit, don't try to be the story guys, give us the facts and then pass the ball to the Talent. And quit having Berman host BB2N every once in a while, I can only tolerate him during Football season. Espn thinks it's funny to have Berman do play by play for historic events like BB's 660, he's the freaking worst at play by play, I can only hope that BB breaks the record during a Saturday Fox game.

i agree with everything you said. and i have a question, why on earth does ravich call podsednik the adventure?

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Take 2

Postby jmo » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:39 pm

The way I see it, you need 3 people for baseball tonight. You need the level 1 straight guy, just the facts type, that can do the play by play on the updates and ask the other 2 fresh questions. I give Ravech a "B" here. He's better than a Charlie Stiener but Van Pelt could do better and he wouldn't say "Bagpipes". A "B" is really all you need at level 1. At Level 2 you need an ex-player or manager, someone who can speak from expirience and who doesn't have too much of a bias towards Offensive/Pitching or Power/Average. Brantley is all about pitching and nothing else, but his perm gets an A+++. Kruk was barely a baseball player, he would've had a beer and a smoke in his throwing hand at first if they would've allowed it. Whoever picked him for BBTN is probably also trying to groom Matt Stairs for a post career announcing spot. Bobby V had great takes but his attitude gets him a C+. At Level 3 you need a freaking GEEK like Gammons or Kirkjin. I say Geek in the nicest way as I am one myself. Gammons is an A, he excels at everything that a Level 3 needs to be. Other than BoSox, he doesn't always have major inside info. Maybe I'm unfairly comparing him to Football Geeks, they seem to know everything about every team. Maybe Baseball Organization just don't leak as much. They could use a level 4 guy just for Fantasy Baseball, he could be at a second smaller desk so he does not breathe on the talent. The current guys just don't understand how to cover the booming Fantasy business.
jmo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Posiedon Adventure

Postby jmo » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:41 pm

The Posednick adventure = The Posidon Adventure. It's a book. And it's a major reach for Ravech
jmo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby NZF » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:52 pm

LBJackal wrote:I don't get ESPN or Baseball Tonight. Sounds more like a soap opera than a sports show though.

Really 8-o We even get that here. I lap it all up because that is my lot for the week :-t

On the subject of bad ESPN announcers, Joe Morgan said last night before the game that Dontrelle Willis could only get better this season 8-o ERA of 0.00.

Even with my limited knowledge of the real game I reckon that guy has no feel for making predictions.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ZAZ » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:56 pm

My gripe with the show is this: how can the producers not understand this show is made for the fantasy players and not cater to that?? Meaning, they can't be bothered to shows complete box scores, they only do a few standouts from each game. It's not like they can't get it into a graphic, cause ESPNews does it all the time. Moreover, they have it back this year, but last year they showed web gems and cancelled Touching Them All. How stupid was that?

I also think they should spotlight some fantasy sleepers, ect. more often. I would think it's us fantasy nerds that gives the show a good deal of their ratings.
ZAZ
College Coach
College Coach

Zaz

Postby jmo » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:39 pm

Zaz, you just read my mind. My friend and I have talked about that same thing. I would definately Tivo any show that spotlighted fantasy info only. During football season, I watch like 2-3 shows a week on Fox or Spike. ESPN is slow to react because of the stigma that Fantasy gets from Purists (I am both a Fantasy buff and a purist by the way). I know that there were Fantasy baseball shows on before, maybe they were premature and now execs are gun shy about it.

Does anybody else want the BBTN update music as their "You've Got mail". That would be kind of cool...for a while anyway.
jmo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Nomar4prez » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:51 pm

Kruk and Reynolds are both awesome. They actually add some character to that show. Kruk is there to be the goofball, and Reynolds is there to be the former ballplayer. All the guys on that show are also extremely intelligent in the game of baseball, and I always seem to learn atleast one new thing every show. People should really learn to just sit back and enjoy the friggin' show. Stop looking for things to criticize people about. I know I couldn't do their job better than them, and I doubt too many people in here could either.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers