Where's the love for Oliver Perez? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where's the love for Oliver Perez?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Zito is God » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:16 pm

Whoa, I missed Riley on that list, definetly Riley, Valverde might take over the Closer position soon, Koch can still be a good closer, and myers will be good enough to win around 12 games.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: maybe

Postby NZF » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:48 pm

JOEG wrote:No way you can wait 2-3 more quality starts to grab this guy!!!!!! Thats a completely stupid thing to suggest....

I disagree.

His career stats before this game 4.57 ERA 1.48 WHIP
9 WINS 15 LOSSES

Has always had a heap of ability I know but I would not be convinced this guy has fully turned the corner until I see another couple of quality starts.

Sure if you have room on your roster or SP's that aren't as good then by all means grab him now. I haven't so I wait. If that means I miss him then so be it.

If you grabbed every guy that pitchers 1 great game, in the past week you would now have Chris Saenz, Waechter and Sergio Mitre on your roster and Bud Smith in your Keeper league.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wannabthechamp » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:53 pm

I'm a little confused as to why Riley recieved so much hype and people were saying "GRAB HIM NOW!" but not that's not the case with Perez. :-o

Anyways, I dropped Miguel Batista for Perez and I'm pretty confident that Oliver is going to have a good season. ;-D
"I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany. - Ron Burgundy
wannabthechamp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JOEG » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:57 pm

(If you grabbed every guy that pitchers 1 great game, in the past week you would now have Chris Saenz, Waechter and Sergio Mitre on your roster and Bud Smith in your Keeper league.]

Perez - CG - shutout - 10 K's - huge prospect for years

Saenz - 6 innings
Waecter - 6 innings
Mitre - 6 innings

there is a difference in the magnitude of these preformances to a great degree
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:53 am

I dropped Loshe for him about an hour ago. Not a big loss if he doesn't perform well. Plus his next start is against the Brewers and that doesn't scare me too much. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby hybrid » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:39 am

only 2 pages, it was a complete 10 strike out game. but yet riley gets 10 pages....sad. i hope this keeps going till he pitches again so we can get 10 pages
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby LBJackal » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:43 am

Riley is just getting his shot at the majors, and his first 2 starts were awesome. Perez has been talked about for 2 years now. I'm sure if he were a rookie doing what he's doing people would be talking about him as much as Riley. And Pittsburgh's run support isn't exactly top-notch, either.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:51 am

LBJackal wrote:Riley is just getting his shot at the majors, and his first 2 starts were awesome. Perez has been talked about for 2 years now. I'm sure if he were a rookie doing what he's doing people would be talking about him as much as Riley. And Pittsburgh's run support isn't exactly top-notch, either.

Oliver has better stuff and is younger. Perez's potential to me is much better.

edited: i can see what your saying though, it's sad though that just cause riley is a new name though he would get more attention. i'm sure a lot of the new people in fantasy baseball or people in shallow leagues don't know who perez is that well either.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby sinicalypse » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:51 pm

olly perez has some stuff, it's just whether he really buckles down and becomes a good pitcher. i think someday he'll be pretty good, the crapshoot is whether or not its this year.

near the end of 2002, maybe august or september, he had a good stretch where he had a 3.something ERA and a bunch of Ks, kind of like now. he ended up giving up runs in heaps and his era was 5.something.

what's encouraging this year is that his good start is in april, low BB numbers, and the reds arent exactly chopped liver in terms of an offensive opponent. even someone like sean casey can single or double you to death, adam dunn's hot, and he managed cincinnati twice in a row.

there was this pitcher last year who began a bigtime run after handling cincinnati twice in a row, would you believe that the pitcher i speak of is the mighty dontrelle willis?
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby DK » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:48 pm

Haven't I called this kid out forever? I've seen the guy pitch. He's got all the tools. I've liked his potential since I first heard of him. He's started to control his ability, harness his talent. I would not be surprised to see him break out, even on the lowly Pirates.

What's Pittsburgh's ballfield like? Favors hitters or pitchers?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers