Where's the love for Oliver Perez? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where's the love for Oliver Perez?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where's the love for Oliver Perez?

Postby gladiator19 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:45 pm

Complete game shutout today! He has 22 k's in 20 innings against 5 walks. I think this kid is gonna be the real deal this season.
gladiator19

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Zito is God » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:46 pm

Not many hard matchups so far, wait till the Red Sox or Yanks come to town.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gladiator19 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:48 pm

the red sox and yanks wont be coming to town very often(if at all) considering he pitches in the NL.
gladiator19

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Zito is God » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:50 pm

Inner league play starts in a month.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby King Tim » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:53 pm

The most impressive stat for Oliver today was only 1 BB. If he continues with the control he will continue to dominate.
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rippz » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:00 pm

Why are a lot of people on this board so sceptical of great prospects who have yet to reach their potential? Nobody likes Dunn(Homerune King of the Future), Willis (Everyone thought he was crap before th season started), Oiver Perez ( Has amazing K potential and was traded for Giles... Bonds says he has some of the best stuff he has seen)

I could go on for awhile with names of young players who most of you knock on....

Some guy like Riley steps up and you all want to suck his woowoo... Perez is a great prospect and he will have some bad starts but days like today and the early going of this season are good signs of him reaching his potential... They all can't be Prior....

I say Perez breaks out huge this year.....
Last edited by rippz on Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rippz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NZF » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:06 pm

Zito is God wrote:Not many hard matchups so far, wait till the Red Sox or Yanks come to town.

Pittsburgh play the AL West in Interleague play this season. No Yankees or Red Sox in sight.

Oakland and Seattle certainly are not offenses to be concerned about.

Perez has always had great stuff and an excellent IP /K ratio but walked too many batters. So far this season he has had great control. Could be too early to be labelling him. I would wait for a few more of these types of high calibre starts before grabbing him myself. If he pitched for a better team then maybe I would pull the trigger earlier.
Last edited by NZF on Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fezzik » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:06 pm

King Tim wrote:The most impressive stat for Oliver today was only 1 BB. If he continues with the control he will continue to dominate.

I completely agree. :-)
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Zito is God » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:09 pm

rippz wrote:Why is everyone on this board so sceptical of great prospects who have yet to reach their potential? Nobody likes Dunn(Homerune King of the Future), Willis (Everyone thought he was crap before th season started), Oiver Perez ( Has amazing K potential and was traded for Giles... Bonds says he has some of the best stuff he has seen)

I could go on for awhile with names of young players who most of you knock on....

Some guy like Riley steps up and you all want to suck his woowoo... Perez is a great prospect and he will have some bad starts but days like today and the early going of this season are good signs of him reaching his potential... They all can't be Prior....

I say Perez breaks out huge this year.....

1. I love how you put "everyone' when it was like 4 people total.

2. I have never boasted about Riley.

3. I have never doubted Willis.

4. I was probobly the biggest Dunn fan ever about 2 years ago.

Just sayin you need to structure your statments better , as "everyone" usually applies to no more then 5 people.

Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LetsPlay2 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:10 pm

I'd say a few people are in love with the AL, a few have the correct amount of skepticism, a few go over board when someone has 1 great/horrible day, etc.... Just take people's opinions with a grain of salt, make sure you don't blow 1 good/bad game out of proportion, check the numbers yourself, and you'll be fine. Perez was a keeper for me from last year and today I gave him his 1st start. I'm fairly high on him. I also started Acevedo whom I'll bench for his next start at Houston (tough matchup) but still like what he's shown so far.

If you're looking for the next Cy Young, he's on the mound against the Expos every day. They were batting .203 with 32 total runs scored before today.
LetsPlay2
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers