Larson - the real deal? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Larson - the real deal?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Larson - the real deal?

Postby Flip » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:34 pm

I currently have Brandon Larson on the DL and he is about to be activated. He is the Reds 3B and I am wondering if he is any good. He was the minor league player of the year last year and I need to know whether to keep him on my bench as I have Mike Lowell as my 3B right now. What are his stats like and how well is he going to hit. I am in a 18 team rotissiere league. Hitter stats are:

R HR RBI SB OBP SLG

Any comments would be appreciated.
Flip
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

not sure

Postby JOEG » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:52 pm

He is impossible to predict... like you mentioned he was unreal last year in the minors, however crapped himself in the majors.

However, he had a huge spring and you can't argue against that lineup and park, so if you have room for a high upside guy i would take the chance.
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:02 pm

Well he is more or less a rookie and as you said he tore up the minors. He also had a hell of a spring and has been raking since he has been rehabbing. That said he did fall flat on his face in his little major league experience. Is he worth a flier or a roster spot ? Depending on the size of the league. In my 17 team mixed league absolutely he is worth a spot. In a 10 team league? probably not. If you have to lose lowell all together in order to take a chance on him then no i would say its not worth that risk at all. If you can stash lowell on reserve to 'give him a test drive' perhaps that would be worth the risk, but even then i would wait till he plays at least 3 or 4 games before you do so. With Freel(injury status uncertain), Larkin and Larson there are 3 people for two positions so i dont think he is going to jump right in and takeover immediately regardless.

jmo, hope it helps

later,

ink
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bukoski77 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:04 pm

INKcogKNEEdough wrote:Well he is more or less a rookie and as you said he tore up the minors. He also had a hell of a spring and has been raking since he has been rehabbing. That said he did fall flat on his face in his little major league experience. Is he worth a flier or a roster spot ? Depending on the size of the league. In my 17 team mixed league absolutely he is worth a spot. In a 10 team league? probably not. If you have to lose lowell all together in order to take a chance on him then no i would say its not worth that risk at all. If you can stash lowell on reserve to 'give him a test drive' perhaps that would be worth the risk, but even then i would wait till he plays at least 3 or 4 games before you do so. With Freel(injury status uncertain), Larkin and Larson there are 3 people for two positions so i dont think he is going to jump right in and takeover immediately regardless.

jmo, hope it helps

later,

ink

;-D ;-D ;-D

I see you only have 2 posts. If no one has said so yet, Welcome to the Cafe!!!!
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GiantFan666 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:38 am

If your league is weekly roster moves then I would definitely go with Lowell as he was on fire last week.. Larson looked good in his rehab assign. but if its a weekly league, you gotta go with the hot hand which is Lowell
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bell » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:47 am

INKcogKNEEdough wrote:He also had a hell of a spring

If I'm not mistaken, Larson had about a dozen at-bats during spring training due to injury.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GiantFan666 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:52 am

bell wrote:
INKcogKNEEdough wrote:He also had a hell of a spring

If I'm not mistaken, Larson had about a dozen at-bats during spring training due to injury.

B Larson .462 5 13 2 6 13 1 0 2 8

there is his spring training line... It was enough for me to pick him up in spring training, but dropped him when he got hurt... I do have my eye on him this week though...
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby JDogg » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:42 am

Larson's a CRUSHER, no doubt. However, don't trade Lowell yet. The kid is a rookie so expect rookie-like production and you'll be fine.
I hate to be a whore, but the world's a pimp - Andre Nicotina
JDogg
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:32 am

larson always hits well in triple a, but never in the bigs. he'd have to show me he could do that first, oh yeah and he is one of those injury prone guys. so in recap he has never proven himself in the majors and is injury prone. leave him on the dl as long as you can to see if he can do anything at all, and if he doesn't do anything (which he will) then drop him. unless you have someone even worse of course, i know those 18 team leagues can have some bad players due to size of the league.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby LBJackal » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:38 am

That's a little harsh. I wouldn't say he's never hit well in the majors. He hit .275 with 4 HR in 51 AB's in 2002, which is pretty good for a rookie. Last year he tanked, but if he gets a prolonged chance I think he could be really successful. In keeper leagues he's worth a look. Certainly not over a guy like Lowell, but he's worth a bench spot, and you can plug him in if he gets hot.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers