Kaz Mat..........question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kaz Mat..........question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kaz Mat..........question

Postby bruuno2 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:05 pm

Why isn't he stealing any bases.Does he really have any speed?He gets on base often and he hasn't even attempted to steal even one base.What's up with that? :-?
bruuno2
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby rippz » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:07 pm

He has been caught stealing twice.......
rippz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Broncmet724 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:11 pm

Howe came from Oakland, Oakland doesn't believe in stealing much. He might have carried the philosophy to NY with him. And speed means nothing without some skill.
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:24 pm

I have said this in two previous posts already so I apologize for being redundant, but the Mets lack of offense is the culprit. Kaz has made 2 SB attempts and been CS twice but that was early in the season. Until the Mets get it going offensively I would not expect them to be very aggressive on the base paths.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tmoney » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:26 pm

How many more times will we have to read this question? But, it is an important topic for many fantasy owners. From what I have read, he just needs to get used to the ML pitchers and get his timing down. If you look at his numbers over the years, the number of steals he has gotten is way down. Not sure if he is focusing more on hitting or what it is. And yes, Howe is not big on steals, buy when Reyes comes back, things will change for the better. Maybe he got too much hype, but I think he will still get 25 stolen bases.

Here is a good article about Kaz:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=neyer_rob&id=1681377
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:35 pm

Good article. The one thing it leaves out (and it's important) is that Kaz was moved from leadoff to the #3 and #4 spots the last couple of years. This played a role in the numbers shift for SB and HR.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Spartans Rule » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:38 pm

Amazinz wrote:Until the Mets get it going offensively I would not expect them to be very aggressive on the base paths.

Thats kind of backwards logic. A team that isn't hitting the ball needs to steal more. If you can't rely on your hitting you look to manufacture runs.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:53 pm

It may be backwards logic from your perspective. But Howe is far less aggressive when the offense is struggling. Two, it depends on what side of the fence you sit on concerning how valuable SBs are and how detrimental they can be to weak offenses.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Captain Crash » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:19 pm

Amazinz wrote:It may be backwards logic from your perspective. But Howe is far less aggressive when the offense is struggling. Two, it depends on what side of the fence you sit on concerning how valuable SBs are and how detrimental they can be to weak offenses.

Huh? What? This is absolute horsecrap. I disagree completely with both points, and I don't think most people will even need me to explain why.
Captain Crash
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:31 pm

Well for starters your tact is impressive so your knowledge and argument will no doubt be equally as strong.

You disagree with the fact that Howe is less aggressive when the Mets are struggling? That's your right but after watching them last year and the beginning of this year that's the opinion I've formed.

Secondly you disagree that there are two seperate views on how valuable/detrimental the SB is? There are a lot of people who think the SB is immensely valuable. There are equally as many people who agree that it takes 3 SBs to offset a CS.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers