Attention Kim owners - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Attention Kim owners

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Attention Kim owners

Postby Dice » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:11 pm

Trade him if you can get good value for him.

He was said to be throwing 86 in Pawtucket.

Bronson Arroyo just started two games in which he matched Kevin Brown vs. the Yankees. He got no decisions but the team won both. The fact that Arroyo is not phased by pitching against the Yanks and Kim is is NOT to be ignored.

On radio, they said they would be discussing roles with Kim and Arroyo after the game today.

At best, Kim will be the 5th starter with an extremely short leash.

You have been warned.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ccodyman » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:17 pm

Thanks for the advice. Do you think Arroyo will produce like this all year or do you think it is a one time deal. If so would you drop Kim for Arroyo?
Cincinnati Reds will work thier magic. Just you wait, just you wait......
Ccodyman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:24 pm

When Kim comes off the DL, I can keep him or Jeremy Affeldt. One has to go, should it be Kim?
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby osb » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:28 pm

i would keep kim... right now he's the unknown commodity... if you dropped him someone would be more likely in my opinion to take a flyer on him and see how he starts out... affelt on the other hand has been scuffling lately and i doubt if you dropped him he'd have as many interested owners as kim... personally, i think affelt has more upside, but i believe he'd still be there if kim falters or is sent to the bullpen...
osb
College Coach
College Coach

Location: somewhere in the hillbilly land of southwest Virginia

Postby Pokey » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:08 pm

There's no reason Kim shouldn't be the #5 starter when he comes back. He was only throwing 86 cuz it's a rehab assignment... he's not at 100% yet.

Kim is the much better pitcher... as a starter for the Diamondbacks and Red Sox last year he had 12 starts (including 7 quality starts) and posted a 3.38 ERA. Arroyo on the other hand, with 31 starts (and LESS than 7 quality starts :-t ) Has an ERA well over 5.

Kim is younger, more experienced, and more talented. Kim will be the sox #5 starter
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dice » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:46 pm

What I'm saying is that from my viewpoint, it's about 50/50 between Kim and Arroyo being the #5 starter come July & August. I would guess that it would take only 2 or 3 poor starts from Kim before a switch were made. Kim has a longer track record, but Arroyo has been impressive since he came on board last year, when he had a 2.08 ERA in six starts. Fantasy wise, neither is a safe bet.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pokey » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:57 pm

Dice wrote:What I'm saying is that from my viewpoint, it's about 50/50 between Kim and Arroyo being the #5 starter come July & August. I would guess that it would take only 2 or 3 poor starts from Kim before a switch were made.

That's probably true... but based on his track record, I don't think Kim is gonna have those 2 or 3 poor starts, at least not close enough together for him to get the boot.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers