Fransisco Cordero - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fransisco Cordero

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fransisco Cordero

Postby Freebird27 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:43 am

What do you guys think of him long term? I have him in a keeper and have been offered Freddie Garcia for him?

Need a good SP and Garcia seems to be looking great so far..and I could absorb the saves loss...but seeign as its a keeper, I'd hate to deal him if he could be the next young stud closer
Freebird27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:04 am

Cordero does look like a stud at closer, the problem being that with Texas' high scoring offense and awful starting pitching, they will be in too many blowouts to give him lots of save opps.

However, I'd avoid Garcia because he is too inconsistent; he will run off a string of great starts then get lit up for a month straight. Depending on the depth of the league, if there are no closers available to be picked up, you should be able to get a better pitcher than Garcia for Cordero.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:10 am

I'd trade Freddy for Cordero. He's a great closer, and Texas will get plenty of save opps. Great K's, ratios, and lotsa saves. What else do you need in a closer? :-D

On a side note: why the hell did Nelson get the save opp today? I hope it was only because Cordero pitched in 3 of the previous 4 days.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Freebird27 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:11 am

Yeah..its a 14 team league..so there arent even crumbs on the wire...Garcia has always seemed inconsistant..which is what makes me hesitant...Wade Miller is my #2 SP behind Mussina (my Ace) cough..so I need a sure thing..thanks for the response
Freebird27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Freebird27 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:01 am

bump
Freebird27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:44 am

LBJackal wrote:On a side note: why the hell did Nelson get the save opp today? I hope it was only because Cordero pitched in 3 of the previous 4 days.

That's part of it, but the main reason was in Friday night's game Cordero got all warmed up and came in to get the final out of the 8th inning. Then there was a rain delay of an hour or hour and a half. Cordero had to get all warmed up again to pitch the 9th. Kinda like pitching both games of a double header, so Nelson closed the door tonight. Just a day off. :-)

As to the original question, personally, I wouldn't give up Cordero for Garcia. It would take a better starting pitcher to pry him away from me. JDH's comment kinda contradicted itself:

JDH wrote:the problem being that with Texas' high scoring offense and awful starting pitching, they will be in too many blowouts to give him lots of save opps.

Need good pitching to have a blowout. While the Rangers pitching has been very good this year, I don't expect them to continue at that level, and I'm a Rangers fan. So you have a high scoring offense and a pitching staff that gives up quite a few runs. Sounds like close high scoring games to me, and also equals save opportunities. ;-)

Something to point out about Cordero is that Urbina led the AL in saves before he was traded last year. Cordero should see plenty of save chances this year. Hang on to him, or get a better pitcher in return. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby thehat » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:46 am

Note on why Cordero did not get the save opp tonite. On Friday, he came in during the eighth inning, finished that frame, sat thru a one hour rain delay and then finished the game. That's almost like two appearances in one game, so they sat him tonight.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jdh » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:35 pm

What I had meant is that a mediocre pitching staff and a high scoring offense generally means lots of high scoring games, and high scoring games have a tendency to be like 10-5 scores, etc rather than being close enough to provide save opps.

I like Cordero a lot and would want more than Garcia for him, but because of the nature of the Rangers team, I wouldn't expect more than 30 saves.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jumpman8288 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:20 pm

Cordero is definitly worth more than an iffy starter like Garcia.
[URL=http://http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7158944067217702636&q=new+born+muse]MUSE ROCK[/URL]
jumpman8288
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:40 pm

Dont take a chance on Garcia unless you have to. Cordero is very solid.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers