What was your worst trade ever. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What was your worst trade ever.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should the Cafe Ban on Scott?

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes : 14

What was your worst trade ever.

Postby wrveres » Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:22 pm

;-D I came across this today on CBS and haven't stopped laughing since. So it got me thinking. What was your worst trade ever? Fantasy of course. And Moderator's ...please if you see this guy, Scott is his name can we please ban him..

"Scott, Texas: I'm in a 12-team, 5x5, Head-to-Head league and have Sammy Sosa, Lance Berkman, Albert Pujols , Carlos Beltran and Torii Hunter as my outfielders. However, after the draft, I realized I hadn't picked any closers, and since I had a surplus of outfielders, I traded Berkman, Sosa, and Pujols for Jose Jimenez, Jay Witasick, Scott Stewart and Richard Hidalgo. I think it was a brilliant trade on my part but everyone else in the league keeps saying it was a stupid trade. Could you please prove them wrong? " Unquote

"Awnser: Unfortunately, you got swindled. The three outfielders you traded are among the best players in all of Fantasy Baseball. And in exchange, you got three potential closers with major question marks, plus an injury-prone outfielder. In fact, Witasick might not even be the Padres' leading option for saves. The lesson here is never to make a hasty deal from strength to patch a glaring hole until you carefully consider the impact." source: cbs sportline

It's for real.. I didn't make it up. Heres the link to prove it
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/fantasy/story/6263467
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 744)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BankRoll » Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:55 am

Pretty horrible, hehe. In my opinion I've never made a bad trade, but then again I've only been doing fantasy baseball for 3 seasons and didn't make any trades my first season.

Last year I made one trade and won my money league (H2H league biased towards hitting) with friends from school who have all done Fantasy for a few years. I traded Andruw Jones (my 6th round pick) and Derek Lowe (my 19th round pick) for Barry Bonds at the all star break. Historically Jones slides after the break (which he did last year as well) and I figured since Lowe was never a full-time starter he would also slide after the break (which didn't happen, but I think I still made out).

And this year before opening day I have (effectively through 2 trades and a FA pickup) traded Helton, Glavine, and Stewart (was on my bench) Shannon for Vlad, Brian Lawrence, and Huff (is on my bench).

There has been one pretty bad trade in my league already though. One guy traded Glaus for K. Wood, hehe. I mean Wood is a good pitcher, but not worth Glaus IMO.
BankRoll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby La§ Aguila§ » Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:16 pm

Can someone tell me what is IMO.
[b]DoMiNiCaN FoR LiFe ![/b]
La§ Aguila§
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BankRoll » Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:33 pm

La§ Aguila§ wrote:Can someone tell me what is IMO.
In my opinion.

And after looking at that trade one more time, I think it is made up. Sammy Sosa, Lance Berkman, Albert Pujols , Carlos Beltran are all top 25 picks. I don't see how he can get 4 top 25 picks in a 12 team league.
BankRoll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby La§ Aguila§ » Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:38 pm

Thanks BankRoll. ;-D
[b]DoMiNiCaN FoR LiFe ![/b]
La§ Aguila§
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rotisseriking » Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:10 pm

OK, I'll share my pain. 3 years ago I traded Pettitte and Womack for Flash Gordon and Quilvio Veras in an attempt to make up ground in saves and average. 2 days later Flash has surgery and done for the year, Veras went on the DL twice. Womack went on to hit almost .300 and Pettitte won 15+. I still get crap from my buddy on this and since that day I have never traded with him again, including football. ;-D
rotisseriking
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Fat Mo » Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:29 am

Last year I was loaded in the saves category after getting Gagne off the waiver wire and drafting 5 closers in the later rounds.

Thinking they could never keep up the pace....

I traded Mike Williams for Beckett AND

Guardado for Daryl Ward (it was early in the season)...LOL

Then at the all star break,,,I traded Gagne for Freddie Garcia...LOL

Tough year!!
Fat Mo

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby bonecrusher17 » Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:42 pm

I thought I had ripped a guy off by acquiring Luis Gonzalez and Mariano Rivera for a first round pick (5 player keeper so it's a 6th rounder) and Tim Wakefield for the push at the end of last season...the other teams were pissed....I was surely going to launch from 2nd into first...

...of course Rivera was done for the year a week later and Gonzo f'd up his shoulder. I finished 3rd...tomorrow is my draft and I don't have my first round pick....oh yeah, and Wakefield finished with the AL's 4th best ERA and won more games than I care to remember.
Put the lotion in the basket.
bonecrusher17
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ScurvyDog » Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:56 pm

I traded Kenny Lofton for Kevin Reimer - the year Reimer left for Japan - and Kenny went on the tear for forever!

Well, Reimer was having a heck of a year in my Micro League Baseball computer season that year - UGH!
"Life is tough. But it is even tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
ScurvyDog

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:03 am

All right. I didn't want to open a whole new category, but I can't hold off on this topic any longer. 2 years back we had a new owner in our league. Nice guy, but got way into the game. Like all first timers, he looked too heavily into slumps and early season spurts and the like. He dropped Bobby Abreu and Barry Bonds ("I think that he's a little long in the tooth.") and picked up Bobby Abreu and Soriano and Bret Boone. He also traded away Jason Giambi for Latroy freaking Hawkins. Why am I so mad still? I placed second to him that year.
Hank
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers