Does Bonds have a shot at .400?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Does Bonds have a shot at .400??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby shortround_phat2008 » Fri May 07, 2004 5:22 pm

Bonds won't hit 400,he does have a better chance of hitting 80 homers and 170 rbi's, the people think he will hit 400 will look back at this post and say I can't believe I thought he would do that and he ends up with a 330 average.
shortround_phat2008
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 454
Joined: 24 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fairfield Texas

Postby BronsonPinchot » Fri May 07, 2004 5:34 pm

Come on bro, he has a better chance of hitting .400 than he does at getitng 170 rbi. He's playing on an insanely bad team and gets walked on every play. I don't think he'll hit .400 either though...way too easy to get into a slump in baseball. BUT, I agree that all the walks can only help him, and maybe, not that I know this or anything, maybe they can prevent or at least shorten potential slumps.
BronsonPinchot Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 212
Joined: 1 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Sat May 08, 2004 12:28 am

Yeah I'd say if anyone is ever going to hit .400 Bonds is the man simply because he is only going to get 300-350 chances to hit the ball between days off(of which he has many) and BB's.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Sat May 08, 2004 2:16 am

DK wrote:
fezzik wrote:
DK wrote:The only thing really standing in Bonds' way is all the walks he sees. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you need 400 AB's to have a shot at the batting title. He could always be given the "unofficial" title (IE a .405 average in 390 AB). He's batting what, .512 now? No way it lasts, but .400 is close in realm.

That being said, I personally don't think he'll hit .400. Even if he does, I still believe Ted Williams was the better LF. ;D


I'm almost positive it's actually plate appearances that count towards the qualification for the batting title. That's why I think all those walks will help him. He only has to bat .400 in a smaller sample of AB's. ;-D


You're absolutely right. 502 PA to qualify. I stand corrected. ;-D


DK, nice signature ....

"excellence since 2004"

I like it ...what made you switch ?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 692)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat May 08, 2004 4:16 am

wrveres wrote:
DK, nice signature ....

"excellence since 2004"

I like it ...what made you switch ?


I have wondered too....maybe he should tell us.... :-?
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 13084
Joined: 13 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: floating around on the 3rd rock

Postby pbeall100281 » Sat May 08, 2004 4:33 am

BobbyRoberto wrote:Another thing he has going for him, if he wants to hit for average, is the Bonds Shift. The way they set up the defense, he could drop a bunt anywhere left of the pitcher for a hit most anytime he wants. If he does this a few times, they might shift back, which would open up the right side of the infield again.


You are absolutly crazy if you think there is any reality to that statement...Bonds will not bat .400 this year and I will give you the reasons why:

1. He lacks the respect from the umpires and baseball in general due to his attitude and the low, but present, level of racism that exsists in baseball
2. The pressue the K-zone puts on umps to call the game the same regarless of who is up
3. Pitching isn't as diluted as much anymore
4. He doesn't have anyone hitting around him
5. Pac-Bell
6. Dodger Staduim
7. Petco
8. Coors ( think not? well it's hard to hit when they walk you every time)
9. CBS is stupid, you can't base 'isht' on an April and they didn't account for the era (not ERA)

That said, If bonds becomes a yankee next year, watch out
pbeall100281 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 497
Joined: 20 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ORYGUN

Postby KULCAT » Sat May 08, 2004 11:52 am

pbeall100281 wrote:
BobbyRoberto wrote:Another thing he has going for him, if he wants to hit for average, is the Bonds Shift. The way they set up the defense, he could drop a bunt anywhere left of the pitcher for a hit most anytime he wants. If he does this a few times, they might shift back, which would open up the right side of the infield again.


You are absolutly crazy if you think there is any reality to that statement...Bonds will not bat .400 this year and I will give you the reasons why:

1. He lacks the respect from the umpires and baseball in general due to his attitude and the low, but present, level of racism that exsists in baseball
2. The pressue the K-zone puts on umps to call the game the same regarless of who is up
3. Pitching isn't as diluted as much anymore
4. He doesn't have anyone hitting around him
5. Pac-Bell
6. Dodger Staduim
7. Petco
8. Coors ( think not? well it's hard to hit when they walk you every time)
9. CBS is stupid, you can't base 'isht' on an April and they didn't account for the era (not ERA)

I really hate it that anyone gets to pull the race card whenever they feel they cant back their argument.
As for some the arguments, He hasnt have anyone around him all season and is still hitting .400 plus. It doesnt matter if he plays at Petco or Chavez ravine cause the guy could pull it out of the grand canyon or a place even bigger like his head :-D


When did pitching become less diluted? Im asking cause i didnt notice the MLB cutting out a team or forcing teams to go with 4 starters.
The reason people think he can hit .400 is not cause of April its because he doesnt have to do that much to get to .400 when he usually goes 5 times at bat, gets 1 hit and gets walked the other 4 times. Thats a 1.000 average right there. In past years it didnt matter how hot you were they pitched to you wich gave you more chances to enter slumps and having 0-5 nights taht could kill your chances. Dont see that happening to Bonds
He definitely has a chance. The bets ive seen in my lifetime
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 1814
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Panama mi bella Panama

"race card"

Postby pbeall100281 » Sat May 08, 2004 2:55 pm

KULLCAT wrote: "I really hate it that anyone gets to pull the race card whenever they feel they cant back their argument. As for some the arguments, He hasnt have anyone around him all season and is still hitting .400 plus. It doesnt matter if he plays at Petco or Chavez ravine cause the guy could pull it out of the grand canyon or a place even bigger like his head

When did pitching become less diluted? Im asking cause i didnt notice the MLB cutting out a team or forcing teams to go with 4 starters.
The reason people think he can hit .400 is not cause of April its because he doesnt have to do that much to get to .400 when he usually goes 5 times at bat, gets 1 hit and gets walked the other 4 times. Thats a 1.000 average right there. In past years it didnt matter how hot you were they pitched to you wich gave you more chances to enter slumps and having 0-5 nights taht could kill your chances. Dont see that happening to Bonds
He definitely has a chance. The bets ive seen in my lifetime"


Are you denying that racisms' existance in MLB?

Obviously, I am not relying on that part of my agrument to prove my point, but it seems to have cought your attention. I'm not saying umpires/baseball won't allow Barry too hit .400, but they aren't exactly going to help him either. Barry's combination of Blackness and "negative" attitude certianly affect the way people feel about him and that in turn, effects how they treat him. So why does it matter? Because the conditions required in modern-day baseball to hit .400 are so fragile that a player needs all of them going his way and racism it certianly one that can hinder a cause. .400 for Barry can come down to one called strike vs. a ball and unless we put the K-Zone in charge, balls and strike will always be subjective.

What I meant by saying that pitching isn't as dilute any more:
Look at the total amont of quality starters 5 years ago, the new young guns(clement) combined with the old horses still doing it well(unit) and you an overlap of great talent not seen for a while at starting pitcher. Your comment on going down to 4 starters isn't very well thought out. Execpt for a select few(Hudson), that would actually make pitching more dilute as tired arms throw slower and slower while injuries go higher and higher...

With the sensativity enloved where you hit is going to matter.

Bonds walks 4 out of 5 ABs? WRONG. Try about a walk for every 2 ABs. And what is this "he'd get a hit the one time out of 5 they pitch to him"? So you are saying he's going to hit 1.000 with 400 walks and not enough ABs to qualify for the batting title? Gimmie a break you joker. What differnce does it make if he see's 5 good pitches in one game versus a 5 game period?

And the #1 reason, empircal data. They man hasn't even come close to hitting .400 (no .370 is not close), hasn't faced even half the pitching he will all year and it is way to early to base what a player will do all year to that exact of a #. There are simply to many negative to positive in this case, so does he have a chance? Well sure, about as much a chance as the mets have winning the world series. I'll take your bet KULLCAT; so how are your wife and my kids?
pbeall100281 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 497
Joined: 20 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ORYGUN

Re: "race card"

Postby fezzik » Sat May 08, 2004 4:26 pm

pbeall100281 wrote:KULLCAT wrote: "I really hate it that anyone gets to pull the race card whenever they feel they cant back their argument. As for some the arguments, He hasnt have anyone around him all season and is still hitting .400 plus. It doesnt matter if he plays at Petco or Chavez ravine cause the guy could pull it out of the grand canyon or a place even bigger like his head

When did pitching become less diluted? Im asking cause i didnt notice the MLB cutting out a team or forcing teams to go with 4 starters.
The reason people think he can hit .400 is not cause of April its because he doesnt have to do that much to get to .400 when he usually goes 5 times at bat, gets 1 hit and gets walked the other 4 times. Thats a 1.000 average right there. In past years it didnt matter how hot you were they pitched to you wich gave you more chances to enter slumps and having 0-5 nights taht could kill your chances. Dont see that happening to Bonds
He definitely has a chance. The bets ive seen in my lifetime"


Are you denying that racisms' existance in MLB?

Obviously, I am not relying on that part of my agrument to prove my point, but it seems to have cought your attention. I'm not saying umpires/baseball won't allow Barry too hit .400, but they aren't exactly going to help him either. Barry's combination of Blackness and "negative" attitude certianly affect the way people feel about him and that in turn, effects how they treat him. So why does it matter? Because the conditions required in modern-day baseball to hit .400 are so fragile that a player needs all of them going his way and racism it certianly one that can hinder a cause. .400 for Barry can come down to one called strike vs. a ball and unless we put the K-Zone in charge, balls and strike will always be subjective.

What I meant by saying that pitching isn't as dilute any more:
Look at the total amont of quality starters 5 years ago, the new young guns(clement) combined with the old horses still doing it well(unit) and you an overlap of great talent not seen for a while at starting pitcher. Your comment on going down to 4 starters isn't very well thought out. Execpt for a select few(Hudson), that would actually make pitching more dilute as tired arms throw slower and slower while injuries go higher and higher...

With the sensativity enloved where you hit is going to matter.

Bonds walks 4 out of 5 ABs? WRONG. Try about a walk for every 2 ABs. And what is this "he'd get a hit the one time out of 5 they pitch to him"? So you are saying he's going to hit 1.000 with 400 walks and not enough ABs to qualify for the batting title? Gimmie a break you joker. What differnce does it make if he see's 5 good pitches in one game versus a 5 game period?

And the #1 reason, empircal data. They man hasn't even come close to hitting .400 (no .370 is not close), hasn't faced even half the pitching he will all year and it is way to early to base what a player will do all year to that exact of a #. There are simply to many negative to positive in this case, so does he have a chance? Well sure, about as much a chance as the mets have winning the world series. I'll take your bet KULLCAT; so how are your wife and my kids?


I disagree on most of your points.

First let's address this "racism" element you've tossed out there. Clearly racism still exists in America...but if you think that an umpire is going to call more close strikes against Barry, I think you're deluding yourself. These guys are umping in the bigs because 1) they are impartial and objective...2) they are consistent with their calls...3) they know the rules inside and out. So you're telling me that some ump is going to risk his reputation and livelyhood just to screw over Barry...and he's doing this because Barry's black? Come on. The umpires these days are under a microscope. Even if some are closet racists, there's no way that they're going to risk their jobs to in order to teach some a-hole a lesson...and if they did, they would be fired for being unfair/impartial.

Secondly, if Barry gets walked 210 times and has 300 official AB's, he qualifies for the batting title...if you had actually read the thread, you would know that "plate appearances" count towards qualification...not AB's. It's 502 plate appearances or 3.1 plate appearances for every game the team plays. So these BB's will help him, because he'll only need to hit .400 in a smaller sample of AB's.

While pitching in general may/may not be as diluted anymore, there also are no more Schilling and K-Brown in the NL West. That can only help Barry's efforts for .400.

Petco is the only real question mark in my mind. As I stated earlier in this thread, Barry typically destroys Padre pitching, but Peavy and Eaton have developed into solid starters and D. Wells is pitching very well. Combine that with the pitcher-friendly park, and I don't see Barry hitting as many HR's in San Diego. However, the large dimensions may not hurt his average when playing there, only his power.

To be frank, I don't think Barry is going to hit .400. I just don't think it's out of the question. I'd probably give Barry a 15-20% chance to do it...as of this moment. So if you give me 7 to 1 odds, I'll be happy to place a bet. :-)
Image
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 2415
Joined: 9 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Inside my head

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact