Does Bonds have a shot at .400?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Does Bonds have a shot at .400??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:27 pm

shortround_phat2008 wrote:Lol yall really think he has a shot he has a better shot hitt n 80 homers then hitt n 400 yall mus be on crack no1 is good enuff 2 hit 380 this year and yall think he will hit 400 lol :-t

Yeah, and the reasons you gave are concrete. I'm a believer.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fezzik » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:29 pm

DK wrote:The only thing really standing in Bonds' way is all the walks he sees. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you need 400 AB's to have a shot at the batting title. He could always be given the "unofficial" title (IE a .405 average in 390 AB). He's batting what, .512 now? No way it lasts, but .400 is close in realm.

That being said, I personally don't think he'll hit .400. Even if he does, I still believe Ted Williams was the better LF. ;D

I'm almost positive it's actually plate appearances that count towards the qualification for the batting title. That's why I think all those walks will help him. He only has to bat .400 in a smaller sample of AB's. ;-D
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby DK » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:31 pm

fezzik wrote:
DK wrote:The only thing really standing in Bonds' way is all the walks he sees. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you need 400 AB's to have a shot at the batting title. He could always be given the "unofficial" title (IE a .405 average in 390 AB). He's batting what, .512 now? No way it lasts, but .400 is close in realm.

That being said, I personally don't think he'll hit .400. Even if he does, I still believe Ted Williams was the better LF. ;D

I'm almost positive it's actually plate appearances that count towards the qualification for the batting title. That's why I think all those walks will help him. He only has to bat .400 in a smaller sample of AB's. ;-D

You're absolutely right. 502 PA to qualify. I stand corrected. ;-D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby cards_fan_8537 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:40 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:How many AB do you need to qualify for the batting title?

How many official AB is Barry on pace for?

That's what I've wondered. He probably will have enough, he has in the past at least, but it does make it "cheap" in a way. It's not his fault he's so good, but when a guy like Pujols has almost 200 more AB's I believe last year, he has to work harder in a way. Don't know if that makes any sense. Just my two cents.
cards_fan_8537
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DK » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:41 pm

cards_fan_8537 wrote:

That's what I've wondered. He probably will have enough, he has in the past at least, but it does make it "cheap" in a way. It's not his fault he's so good, but when a guy like Pujols has almost 200 more AB's I believe last year, he has to work harder in a way. Don't know if that makes any sense. Just my two cents.

I just mentioned one post over yours- it's 502 Plate Appearances. ;-D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Sevillano » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:41 pm

cards_fan_8537 wrote:

It doesn't make much sense, because you really can't fault a player for having such a great eye. A huge part of rating a hitter when scouting is observing how patient they are at the plate. Barry's bat speed is unreal, and I'm sure he feels he could crush a bunch of the pitches just outside of the strike-zone, but much more often than not, he lets them by, and waits patiently for his pitch.

Sure he also gets intentionally walked alot, but unless there are runnners in scoring position those are just as good from a team perspective as a single. The large amount of walks Barry draws does make .400 more of a possibility, but I would argue that it does not make it easier on Barry, and it certainly wouldn't make the accomplishment "cheap".
Sevillano
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LCBOY » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:39 pm

Plate appearances and ABs are different. A player can theoretically have 502 PAs and zero offical ABs if he walks 502 times. Barry had well over 600 PAs in the past few seasons so if he is healthy he will qualify. Again if he ends up with say 370-400 offical ABs it could be possible for him to hit .400. But right now it is way too early. And I didn't forget Tony Gwynn. But in 1994 he was never over .400 late in the season. Helton was in the .390s in August in 2000 but he was never over .400. He finished at .372
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:58 pm

LCBOY wrote:Plate appearances and ABs are different. A player can theoretically have 502 PAs and zero offical ABs if he walks 502 times. Barry had well over 600 PAs in the past few seasons so if he is healthy he will qualify. Again if he ends up with say 370-400 offical ABs it could be possible for him to hit .400. But right now it is way too early. And I didn't forget Tony Gwynn. But in 1994 he was never over .400 late in the season. Helton was in the .390s in August in 2000 but he was never over .400. He finished at .372

well one thing is, he would have to go 2-3 and 3-3 on a number of evenings. The problem is that he only sees 2-3 pitches a night worth swinging at.

The San Diego angle mentioned by somebody was quite interesting. Barry has made a career out of beating up on the Padres ...

Plus, its rarely talked about, but even Barry has his slumps, every season.

I say .350
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby wrveres » Fri May 07, 2004 6:02 am

CBS Sportslines take on the issue ..

Tristan H. Cockcroft wrote:Barry Bonds just keeps getting better. How many players in baseball see maybe one or two hittable pitches per game and still annually lap the field in batting average and slugging percentage? Bonds has reached base safely more than 70 percent of the time (.704 on-base percentage), and he has more intentional walks (22) than all but seven other players have walks (intentional or not). Other than Bonds, only nine players in history (who combined for 17 total seasons) have posted a .500 on-base percentage in a single season. In five of those, the players also hit .400 or better, making Bonds' case to become the first .400 hitter since Ted Williams in 1941 even stronger. Talk that Bonds might tire out from having to run the bases so frequently is valid, but this might be our best chance at seeing another .400 season. Don't bet against him. ...

:-?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby LCBOY » Fri May 07, 2004 3:30 pm

wrveres wrote:CBS Sportslines take on the issue ..

Tristan H. Cockcroft wrote:Barry Bonds just keeps getting better. How many players in baseball see maybe one or two hittable pitches per game and still annually lap the field in batting average and slugging percentage? Bonds has reached base safely more than 70 percent of the time (.704 on-base percentage), and he has more intentional walks (22) than all but seven other players have walks (intentional or not). Other than Bonds, only nine players in history (who combined for 17 total seasons) have posted a .500 on-base percentage in a single season. In five of those, the players also hit .400 or better, making Bonds' case to become the first .400 hitter since Ted Williams in 1941 even stronger. Talk that Bonds might tire out from having to run the bases so frequently is valid, but this might be our best chance at seeing another .400 season. Don't bet against him. ...

:-?

?????
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers