Does Bonds have a shot at .400?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Does Bonds have a shot at .400??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Ficerarmer » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:13 am

well being in the Bay Area, I'm definitely over exposed to Barry Bonds. I remember reading an article about his 661th home run and how it shouldn't of been that big of a deal, and I remember agreeing with the article. The newspapers around here went crazy though. Front page news! I guess it's to be expected seeing as how he passed another Bay Area sports legend, but it's not front page news imo.

I don't care who he is as a person. Maybe he's not the most friendly person in the world, but he's certainly not cruel. He does donate to charities, iirc he does work with children, and he does donate his time. He's not the perfect media boy like Griffey used to be, but I don't think Bonds as a human being is no worse then you or me.
Ficerarmer Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DavidiusRex » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:47 am

Well... Bonds is not Edmonds. Bonds stikes out far less than Edmonds. But you are right, it is early. I wouldn't consider a run at .400 serious until August. Since 1980 only two players were about .400 after August. George Brett in 1980 was above .400 until September 18th. John Olerud in 1993 was above .400 until August 2nd.

Don't forget Tony Gwynn. He hit .394 in 1994 and had hit .475 in August up until the strike.
Boba be cool
Boba have cool toys
Boba dis Vader and live
DavidiusRex
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pedantic » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:03 am

Barry, .400? I doubt it. The man sees more balls than Elton John at an 'NSync afterparty. At this rate, he'll forget what a major league fastball looks like.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby The Jury » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:16 pm

Teehee I was just browsing through some player profiles.. That 72 homerun year stands out as just sick. 72 HOMERUNS! That's like the RBI total of the average major leaguer in one season. That is SICK :-D
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tal1286 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:45 pm

i bet he breaks .400 easily. He gets walked so often first of all. Second, as someone else said, any mistake is a home run. also, at this point, his obp is .700. he's so good that people just won't pitch to him. like someone said, 1ab in 9 innings!! His obp is gonna be huge and any strike is gonna be a hit.
he hits the ball so hard that i just wouldn't be suprised if he hit over .400.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:58 pm

How many AB do you need to qualify for the batting title?

How many official AB is Barry on pace for?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby fruityloops » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:12 pm

He could do it.

The stat that shocks me into thinking so is his swinging strikes.

Thus far in the year he only has a jaw droppingly low number of pitches he swung on and missed. Earlier this week it was just 7!!
fruityloops
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fezzik » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:13 pm

The Jury wrote:Teehee I was just browsing through some player profiles.. That 72 homerun year stands out as just sick. 72 HOMERUNS! That's like the RBI total of the average major leaguer in one season. That is SICK :-D

Yeah, 2001 was absurd. He actually hit 73 ;-) . Anyway, sure he's got a shot. He is superhuman. Do I think it will happen?...No, I don't.

However, some things that may help him are:

- the NL west lost some aces during this offseason...no more Kevin Brown and Curt Schilling.

- he's off to a great start...if he was batting .280 right now, nobody would even bring up this topic...batting .515 is always a bonus...you can have a couple 1 for 3 days and still stay above .400. ;-)

- his walks will help by increasing his plate appearances, so he'll be able to qualify for the batting title while only getting around 450 AB's. Hitting .400 is more likely in a smaller sample of AB's.

The big question mark:

-how's Bonds going to fair against San Diego pitching, and hitting in the new park there. Typically Bonds destroys S.D. pitching, but their staff and park have been completely changed. Peavy and Eaton are still there, but they are better now. David Wells is a wild card...how's Barry going to do against him? Their pen has improved. Lawrence is still there. Ishmail Valdez is pretty average, but pitching in that S.D. park instead of Texas will surely improve his numbers. Will the new stadium decrease Barry's HR's and increase his BA? Decrease both? Have no effect? I think this will have a large impact on his ability to hit .400. Time will tell.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby shortround_phat2008 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:23 pm

Lol yall really think he has a shot he has a better shot hitt n 80 homers then hitt n 400 yall mus be on crack no1 is good enuff 2 hit 380 this year and yall think he will hit 400 lol :-t
shortround_phat2008
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DK » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:26 pm

The only thing really standing in Bonds' way is all the walks he sees. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you need 400 AB's to have a shot at the batting title. He could always be given the "unofficial" title (IE a .405 average in 390 AB). He's batting what, .512 now? No way it lasts, but .400 is close in realm.

That being said, I personally don't think he'll hit .400. Even if he does, I still believe Ted Williams was the better LF. ;D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers