Red Sox need 12 innings to oust rival Yankees - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Red Sox need 12 innings to oust rival Yankees

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Red Sox need 12 innings to oust rival Yankees

Postby WebHamster » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:00 pm

Bronx, NY (Sports Network) - Manny Ramirez scored on a sacrifice fly in the 12th inning to lift the Boston Red Sox to a 3-2 win over rival New York in the middle contest of a three-game series at Yankee Stadium.

Ramirez finished with two hits and an RBI for the Red Sox, who posted an 11-2 win in Friday's series opener. Boston also took three-of-four at Fenway Park last weekend.

"For me, I just go out there and play my game. I don't care what people say," said Ramirez. "I'm just trying to do my best for the team. If they give me a pitch to hit I'm going to try to hit it, and today it just kind of worked out."

Mark Bellhorn plated Ramirez in the 12th inning with a deep fly ball to center and Pokey Reese added an RBI for the Red Sox, who have won nine of their last 12 games.

Alex Rodriguez was the only Yankee with multiple hits, going 2-for-3 with a home run and two runs scored. Gary Sheffield also knocked in a run as New York suffered its fourth loss in six tries. The Yankees are now 8-10 this season.

"Each day is getting more comfortable," said Rodriguez.

In the 12th, Ramirez started the frame with a double and advanced to third after Jason Varitek grounded out. Kevin Millar was then hit by a Paul Quantrill pitch to put runners on the corners. Bellhorn then lined a sac fly to Williams in center, scoring Ramirez for a 3-2 lead.

Mike Timlin took the hill for Boston in the bottom half of the 12th and set the Yankees down in order for his first save of 2004.

Keith Foulke (1-0) earned the win with two scoreless innings of relief. Boston starter Bronson Arroyo pitched six innings of two-run, four-hit ball.

"Our role is to go out there and hold them," Foulke said. "The guys in the dugout are going to score some runs."

Quantrill (2-1) absorbed the loss, permitting one run in an inning of work. Kevin Brown started for New York and allowed two runs on four hits.

The Red Sox grabbed a 1-0 lead in the first inning on a sacrifice fly by Ramirez. Johnny Damon and Bill Mueller both walked to start the game, and David Ortiz moved both runners up a base with a groundout. Ramirez then lifted a sac fly to center, scoring Damon.

Boston added a run in the second on another sacrifice fly. Millar reached on an infield hit and raced to second on a throwing error by Brown. Millar then took third when Bellhorn was safe at first on a fielding error. After Gabe Kapler was hit by a pitch, Reese flied out to center to bring home Millar for a 2-0 lead.

Rodriguez belted his third home run of the season in the fourth inning to put the Yankees on the board. With one out in the inning, Rodriguez belted Arroyo's 2-2 pitch over the wall in left field.

New York eventually tied the game in the seventh courtesy of Sheffield's RBI single. Rodriguez started things with an infield single. Jason Giambi followed with a hit and Rodriguez went to third on Millar's fielding error. Sheffield then ripped an RBI single to left, scoring Rodriguez for a 2-2 score. Bernie Williams later grounded into an inning-ending double play with the bags full.

In the 10th inning, Williams led off by reaching on an error on Ortiz at first and was moved to third after consecutive groundouts by Miguel Cairo and Derek Jeter. Hideki Matsui was the next batter and drew a four-pitch walk. Rodriguez then stepped to the plate and was intentionally walked to load the bases.

Ruben Sierra came on as a pinch-hitter and grounded into a fielder's choice to end the inning.

With Mariano Rivera on the hill in the 11th, Bellhorn drew a leadoff walk but was out at second when Kapler reached on a fielder's choice. Ellis Burks was then hit by a pitch and Damon walked to load the bases.

Mueller then popped out to Jeter for the second out and Ortiz went down swinging to end the inning.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 482)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikcou » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:27 pm

woo we will sweep :-)
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter