Vernon Wells' woes continue - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vernon Wells' woes continue

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Vernon Wells' woes continue

Postby Pokey » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:22 pm

I'm starting to get awfully fed up with Vernon Wells... He's not showing any signs of breaking out of this slump. Could he be a one-year wonder? And should I be trying to unload him now while he still has some conceived value? Anyone else worried about him?
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jpbusta » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:25 pm

Me too. Most of the well known guys in slump have at least hit 2 or more homers. Vernon has 1, and is hitting .214. I really hope he picks it up. :-P
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby trac02 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:26 pm

Bold prediction: Vernon Wells does not repeat as AL hits king.
trac02
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bea Arthur » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:26 pm

I ended up trading him for Mussina in one league I'm in. One underachiever for another. I think a big part of the problem with Wells is that no one is getting on base in front of him. The lack of opportunities to drive in runs is killing him. And I don't see the Blue Jays getting any better. I thought they'd be a surprise team this year, but alas, instead they just suck. Wouldn't be surprised if they finish last place, behind even the Devil Dogs.
Bea Arthur
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Vernon Wells' woes continue

Postby jayman » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:27 pm

Pokey wrote:I'm starting to get awfully fed up with Vernon Wells... He's not showing any signs of breaking out of this slump. Could he be a one-year wonder? And should I be trying to unload him now while he still has some conceived value? Anyone else worried about him?

Depends who you ask.

Ask me and I'll say I'm worried.
Ask some others and they'll tell you to stop worrying, it's only April, etc. etc. etc.

It's really up to you. If you think you can get a fair deal for him and don't want to deal with his slump - trade him. Otherwise, bare down and ride it out.
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RynMan » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:19 pm

im not really worried jus yet. all the jays stink right now....
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby RynMan » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:22 pm

jus did a bit of research on 'ol vernon - this exact time last year he was hitting .265, but had 4 bombs. so he wasnt killing anything last year early either....jus give him time.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Baseballer02 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:24 pm

RynMan wrote:jus did a bit of research on 'ol vernon - this exact time last year he was hitting .265, but had 4 bombs. so he wasnt killing anything last year early either....jus give him time.

but I think he had around 23 RBIs this time last year. Oh well, perfect time to buy low. Just remember folks, the year before his breakout year last year, he hit 23 home runs and had 100 RBIs, and I think he should easily pass those this year. I'm expecting his average to dip back down to .275 this year though.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Baseballer02 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:29 pm

and also...in 2002 he had nearly a 1:4 BB/K ratio and 1:2 BB/K ratio last year, so he's a free swinger, let him start connecting with runners on base, and you'll see those stats jump well. But looking at those ratios, I think he could turn out to be a very streaky player.

BTW, as you can see above he's been improving on his BB/K ratio a little bit, entering today it was at 1:1, so once again, look for him to come back very nicely.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:32 pm

Ok, this is REALLY angering me.

How exactly does anyone go 0 for 7???!!! IN ONE GAME???!!!
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers