Sleeper Catchers out there? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sleeper Catchers out there?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sleeper Catchers out there?

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:54 pm

Barrett looks pretty good so far, but does anyone have any inside info on possible sleepers? My catcher is decent (Varitek), but he isn't providing much run production, and he's 0 for his last 10. I probably will ride it out, but are there any guys worth a look?
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Baseballer02 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:55 pm

As horrible as he is defensively, I'm thinkin Piazza is always sleepin behind the plate. But anyhow, I think Estrada should continue to do well this year, and also Lecroy may be available since he's been on the DL.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Re: Sleeper Catchers out there?

Postby mkooljr1 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:42 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:Barrett looks pretty good so far, but does anyone have any inside info on possible sleepers? My catcher is decent (Varitek), but he isn't providing much run production, and he's 0 for his last 10. I probably will ride it out, but are there any guys worth a look?

Oh man, wow. Yeah, go ahead and drop Varitek and ignore his past production. Pick up the hot catcher of the week, picking between such studly choices as Henry Blanco, Brandon Inge, and Mike Matheny. Start one of those 3 and drop Varitek and ensure yourself a place in the bottom of your standings.
mkooljr1
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Sleeper Catchers out there?

Postby Baseballer02 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:46 pm

mkooljr1 wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:Barrett looks pretty good so far, but does anyone have any inside info on possible sleepers? My catcher is decent (Varitek), but he isn't providing much run production, and he's 0 for his last 10. I probably will ride it out, but are there any guys worth a look?

Oh man, wow. Yeah, go ahead and drop Varitek and ignore his past production. Pick up the hot catcher of the week, picking between such studly choices as Henry Blanco, Brandon Inge, and Mike Matheny. Start one of those 3 and drop Varitek and ensure yourself a place in the bottom of your standings.

I just went over CBMs post about 5 times, and nowhere did I read anything about him dropping Varitek. Just because he gets somebody to play ahead of Varitek, it doesn't mean he's actually dropping him. Time to chill out fella.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:48 pm

Great sarcasm, you don't seem to understand what I was saying though. You automatically assume that I intended to drop Varitek to pick up a hot catcher. Sure I'm not a fan of using more than one roster spot on a catcher, but I was planning on dropping a middle reliever and riding the hot hand for a while.

I know better than to drop Varitek, I just don't want to miss out on a breakout player while my catcher is unspectacular.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:50 pm

You nailed it baller! ;-D
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Baseballer02 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:51 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:

Great sarcasm, you don't seem to understand what I was saying though. You automatically assume that I intended to drop Varitek to pick up a hot catcher. Sure I'm not a fan of using more than one roster spot on a catcher, but I was planning on dropping a middle reliever and riding the hot hand for a while.

I know better than to drop Varitek, I just don't want to miss out on a breakout player while my catcher is unspectacular.

One thing I've learned in my time here CBM, some people just don't have the mind capacity to think outside the box.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby thetongueofire » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:43 pm

Robby Hammock- this guy was pretty impressive (282-8-28 in 65 games) for the D'Backs as a rookie last year in the second half and just came back from injury- watch him carefully ;-)
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:57 pm

Charles Johnson playing in Colorado= Sleeper ;-D
FantasyFreak
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Grouperman941 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:19 am

Ramon Castro should get extra ABs this week due to a finger injury to Mike Redmond. They also play in Colorado this week.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers