Contreras tipping pitches - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Contreras tipping pitches

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby WharfRat » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:23 am

KULCAT wrote:Did you guys now the last name Contreras actually mean black cuban Weaver?

LMAO. I always thought it meant "whiplash."
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:33 am

There's a bit in 'Moneyball' where they explain Scott Hatteberg's ability to read pitchers was a an important 'non-stat' reason that Billy Beane was interested in him.

I'd imagine that the guys in the dugout, or perhaps a few people tasked with that, probably watch the pitchers pretty closely. They've got to talk about something in the dugout!!! If it's as obvious as ESPN pointed out, that would be a BIG advantage to hitters.

I dumped Contreras but will have to watch him closely to see if/ when he fixes whatever his problem is. He was DEADLY at the end of last year but, if it takes him all year to get his stuff together, it may not be worth the bother to get him.

Congratulations on 2K though, that is quite a milestone!!

LBJackal wrote:4 years I've been playing fantasy baseball and not once have I heard a thing about tipping pitches.......the past 2 days I think I've heard it three times.

And a sidenote: #2000 :-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:40 am

Tipping pitches and Contreras is nothing new. Dig up the old scouting reports when the Yankees first got him. Contreras has 3 seperate arm slots that he delivers from. Obviously he favors one position over others for a certain pitch. When Contreras is struggling he falls into a pattern so the batter knows at the point of delivery what the pitch will be. This is not an excuse (I don't make excuses for Yankees :-b) just a well-known flaw in Contreras' game.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bell » Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:06 pm

jeffc_76 wrote:Pretty sad that a supposed veteran like him would make such a rookie mistake.

Randy Johnson did the same thing last season, and it's believed that Pettite did the same during the 2001 World Series. I know there are probably plenty more examples in recent times. It happens...
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby foamposited » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:22 pm

Is he worth a pickup... Someone just dropped him on my FA list. I could drop Riley for him.
foamposited
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:57 pm

That's a big hell yes from my perspective. I would pick him up and sit on him until the Yankees get their act together. Conteras will be nothing but money in the second half. }:-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mikcou » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:36 pm

jeffc_76 wrote:I wonder if the hitters noticed. Pretty sad that a supposed veteran like him would make such a rookie mistake.

Torre also basically accused the Sox of stealing signs before the game. Announcers basically said it was stupid to complain about that sort of thing. Easy way to fix it is to agree ahead of time that the next time I call an off speed pitch away, you're throwing a fastball up and in.

thats really sad that Torre is accusing people of stealing signs EVERYONE steals signs so get over it.
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Baseballer02 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:43 pm

I've personally got a stop sign hanging up on my bedroom door.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers