Do I have a corrupt commisioner?!? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do I have a corrupt commisioner?!?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Do I have a corrupt commisioner?!?

Postby zeppelin77 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:11 pm

Yahoo Head2Head custom (10x20) (AB, R, H, HR, RBI, SB, BB, TB, FPCT, AVG, OBP, W, CG, SHO, SV, ER, K, ERA)

-Commissioner conducts a trade with a deadbeat this week: Pujols for Hidalgo and T. Hafner. First sign something is fishy.
-Deadbeat has not made one roster move, trade, etc. the whole season.
-Deadbeat actually has a pretty good team (in 4th place).
-Commissioner is playing deadbeat this week.
-Deadbeat does not even add Hidalgo and Hafner into his active roster.
-Email commissioner about this .. the next day deadbeat adds hafner into roster, leaves Hidalgo on the bench and C. Jones, L. Berkman and J. Edmonds is in OF and Sexon in Util.
-Trade review: Commissioner. Other managers cannot veto trade.
-Commissioner also has ability to make roster moves on behalf of managers (default setting - I turned it off for my team).
-As far as I know, both managers have to agree to a trade (commissioner cannot force it). Is this correct?

My friend is the commissioner. I hate it when you end up in a league with a crappy/corrupt commissioner, which seems to have heppened. Everyone else agree?
zeppelin77
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WhiteHot » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:18 pm

Sounds fishy.

That trade reeks of a power trip.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby matmat » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:23 pm

smells pretty bad.

hope this isn't a money league... also: every time I see a league like this I feel to urge to say this: "you have too many categories. you have too much redundancy in your categories. your categories repeat too much. there is a lot of overlap in your categories. you count the same things multiple times."
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:27 pm

that trade is weak

as a commisioner I don't even trade with the weak teams in my league because I don't want to be unfair in taking serious advantage of them

if someone tries to take advantage of them I'll veto, so I try and be gentle because they're new
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bedard » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:32 pm

League voting to veto is ideal, unfortunately I am not in a league that employs it this season. That trade is comically bad. Arguably the best player for two players who are competent starters at best.
Bedard

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:33 pm

that trade is crap and the commish is a cheater. Hope you are playing in some other, better leagues.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jeffc_76 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:33 pm

Do you know the deadbeat owner? If so, I would call him out on it. Basically, say that how can he feel Hidalgo is worth giving up for Pujols and at the same time not feel he is worth starting. If you don't know the guy, then I would at least post this on the league messageboard. This will bring it to the attention of everyone else in the league and then maybe they'll be keeping an eye out for this sort of thing too.

edit - if the guy never responds or you get some idiotic reply, then you probably should call out your "friend" too.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:35 pm

yeah thats messed up. in yahoo the commissioner cant accept a trade on behalf of another team, even if roster control is permitted. so he either has two teams in the league or he is totally taking advantage of someone. when you are the comissioner you have to have some higher standards than the rest of the league.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby zeppelin77 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:54 pm

I am not in another league.
This is not a money pool.
The only person i know in the league is the commissioner.

I agree ... there is some redundancy in the catagories, but it's hardly a concern to me compared to the outrageous trade.

The deadbeat does not have a weak team by any means ... well now he does.

I think what I'll do is message a couple other managers who are obviously into the league (i.e. not deadbeats) and see if they think it's fishy, too. Then as a group we can voice our complaint to the commish .. and perhaps force a reversal of the trade.

The game is not important enough to risk my friendship -- but it obviously speaks of his character. Too bad. thx for the replies.
zeppelin77
T-Ball Trainer

Postby matmat » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:56 pm

I am in one league where there is no veto at all and am the commissioner of another that I will not veto anything in (then again, I know all the players personally and I am fairly sure none of their trades would be collusion).
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers