what do you do... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

what do you do...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

what do you do...

Postby ktown » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:24 pm

when someone tries to ruin your league?

a guy in one of the yahoo public leagues i'm in has just dropped all of his players (minus the can't cut guys). i'm pissed because it kills the balance in the league. i don't care if someone doesn't touch their team all year, but this move is just childish. it seems like a temper tantrum because he was in 11th place (i mean it's only april!).

my dilemma is now what to do about the guys on the ww. i'm in 2nd place and i have the 3rd wavier priority. everyone else in the top 5 picks 9th or later (only scraps left by then). it looks like i can get a pretty good player out of this, but if i win, i'm not sure i'd want it to be because some chump threw a fit.

do i go for the best player available, or only grab a mid-level guy and hope that no one falls to the other top teams?
ktown
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DUH! » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:28 pm

That's what happens when you play in public leagues. Especially in yahoo! leagues. Anytime someone wins a public yahoo league, it is nothing that special anyways because half of the people have quit by June and the other half know nothing about baseball.

Chalk it up to a lesson learned and join a private league or pay league next year.

:~(
DUH!

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Bedard » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:29 pm

You put in as many waiver claims as you can and try to pick up as many players as you can. I'm sure you have a bunch of guys on your roster who are worse than the players that team released, so submit multiple waiver claims. If you don't want to drop half your roster submit multiple claims against multiple players on your own roster. IE, if you are prepared to release Kearns, make your first choice pickup a claim against Kearns. Then make your second choice pickup against another guy, third against another, blahblah. Then you can double up on Kearns - or whoever else you are willing to release - with your lower choices of the guys he released. No reason you shouldn't get more than one guy in this waiver process unless for some reason all the other gms are active and on the ball.
Bedard

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Pokey » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:30 pm

it's a crappy situation as far as league balance, but you might as well make the best of it, If you don't, someone else will, and in this situation nice guys finish last. :-/
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thetruth » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:38 pm

try to grab as many guys as possible. it sucks but if you don't someone else will.
thetruth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wallyrus » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:49 pm

yup - grab the best guys available...someone else will if you don't.
wallyrus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:10 pm

Pokey wrote:it's a crappy situation as far as league balance, but you might as well make the best of it, If you don't, someone else will, and in this situation nice guys finish last. :-/

I have to agree. :-/

Just chalk it up as a big reason not to play public leagues. :-/

Plenty of leagues availiable in our "Classifieds" forum every year. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ktown » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:06 pm

yup, this is definitely why i hate public leagues.
i'm in 4 leagues and 3 of them are public. i've already noticed that at least 2 (in one case 4) mgrs in each haven't touched their teams yet (unless starting a bunch of DL guys is a new strategy :-?).
it just ticks me off that someone would intentionally attempt to ruin the league. like i said, it's kinda childish. even the guys in last is still making moves to try to win.
thanks for the replies.
looks like i'll just have to put in my claims... and take 1st place.
adding berkman, oswalt or dotel should be enough to put my team over the top.
ktown
College Coach
College Coach

Postby great gretzky » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:16 pm

it would be nice if yahoo divided up leagues by age. i swear I am in one public league where some of the players must be too young to be able to think fo complex strategy. Like arod is not worth bonds, orlando cabrera and billy wagner. I got offered that actually.

I will just use the forum classifieds next year.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:45 pm

next year im creating 4 private fun leagues on yahoo, free but competive. If you are interested, pm me when we get to next year. It'll be in the classifieds btw.(Ill do the same for football too) Anyways your situation sort of sucks. But you have to make the best of it. Pick up as many as you can.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers