Who is your sleeper of the year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is your sleeper of the year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:30 pm

All right. I might get some flack for this, but I like D'Angelo Jimenez this year. Guy's got all the talent in the world but is very lazy. I have nothing to back this up. Just a gut feeling.
Hank
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kcs261 » Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:57 pm

Huff probably shouldn't be a sleeper. But I got the guy in something like the 18th or 19th round in a 10-team draft. And while I have touted him as a steal with that pick, most in my league (all veteran fantasy players) think that last year was a fluke. So Huff has a lot to prove to some people.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Jivedude » Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:22 pm

Travis Hafner has looked good this spring.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby gogiants » Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:05 pm

I like Fossum alot, especially on a winning team.

Also like Kris Benson to start living up to the big hype of his youth, although will struggle to get wins as the #1 on a bad team
"Walk Softly and carry a Big Stick"

-Theodore Roosevelt
gogiants
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:51 am

:-B A sleeper to me is someone who will out perform's his draft.
Helton would be a sleeper if he went in the 3rd or 4th round to me.

So my sleeper would be Kearns, even after all my bitchin'. I still found him in the 13th round of a mixed draft. I just wanted to see how far he would fall. I couldn't stand it any longer. I read post's of him going anywhere from the 8th on down. I give up. Consider this the death of the Kearns bandwagon.

Untraditional Sleepers for '03.
Huff (the world knows about him, but I still got him off waivers)
Beltre he is 27 this year (finally?)
Beckett (already getting him much cheaper than last year)
Vasquez (I agree with ealier post, gut feeling)
Choi (seem's to be overlooked, must be 1B depth)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby drunkenmonkey » Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:25 am

I picked up Kearns, Beckett, and Scott Williamson up off free agency after the draft was over (12 teams, 21 rounds). So I was pretty happy there. I also like Hafner and Crede although they were actually drafted by someone other than myself. But the guy I think is still flying under the radar this year is Ted Lilly (who I also picked up off the wire). He's been around as a hole-plugger for a couple of years, but he's got the fourth starting spot in Oakland this year, and his numbers have been impressive in spring training. Gut feeling, but watch him.
It's time to roll the dice.
drunkenmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby The Incubus » Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:25 am

Callaway - Will pitch for a good team.

He struck out almost 3 per every walk.

He had about 6 strike out per 9 inning pitched

Allowed less than 1 HR per 9 inning pitched

Allowed 2.5 wlaks per 9 innings pitched

Had 3 to 1 Ground to fly out ratio

Poised and ready !
The Incubus
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby BankRoll » Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:38 am

Other than health reasons I only have 4 question marks on my team (IMO) and 3 are on the bench. I'm hoping they come through big though.

Util: Kearns (178th pick)
Bench: Huff (Free Agent Pickup)
Bench: Encarnacion (158th pick)
Bench: Contreras (163rd pick, I know too high, but it was before spring training and I didn't like anyone else available at the time)

I think I'm pretty much gauranteed one of those hitters will have a good year to fill in my Util spot. But for where I got them I think you could call them all sleepers.

Click here if you want to rate my team :)
BankRoll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Nappy Dugout » Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:59 am

A sleeper is someone who you can get later in the draft that will well outperform expectations.

Beckett may very well be a sleeper because I am seeing go low, or not even drafted at all. My league won't be like that at all, but he is a stud in the making.

Hairston is a decent sleeper. He could put together a nice season, and not cost you a top 15 draft pick.

Oliver Perez will K everybody in sight if he holds up.

Carlos Zambrano may do the same.

Toby Hall is borderline.

Huff is a gimme. Don't think he can be had cheap anymore.

Foppert is a deep sleeper, probably not drafted in most leagues. The guy is gonna be a star. If you have reserves, and can wait, we is worth a shot.
You don't need a quadraphonic Blaupunkt, what you need is a curveball!....
Nappy Dugout
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby metsfan1969 » Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:27 am

To me a sleeper is a player that comes out of nowhere to perform extremely well in the bigs. He is the kind of player that you say...where the heck did he come fom. A great example of this was a couple of years ago with Lance Berkman.

This year I like Oliver Perez (even though I picked him up LY just as his run was beginning). I was tracking him for a couple of games LY and I noticed that he was consistently put up decent numbers. He could pretty much come out of nowhere this year to have some very good numbers.

Chris Woodward and Josh Phelps are really good players who haven't had the opportunity to prove themselves yet. Phelps may be a little too high profile to be termed a sleeper, but that's what people will be calling him if he can put up the kind of numbers I know he can. Woodward is another exceptionally talented player who can have great impact in the bigs if he lives up to what I've seen him do.

There's a guy who played in Syracuse LY named Chad Mottolla (sp). He's another to watch as the season, or next couple of seasons progress. I am at a loss as to why this guy hasn't had his shot yet.
He's been with TB, FLA,Toronto but he just hasn't had a big shot yet. The guy can play.

D'Angelo Jiminez is likely to be termed a sleeper if he can ever live up to his expectations. Remember, the Yankees once valued this guy like they do Soriano.

Let's go to the Mets just for a moment. If Ty Wiggington could be considered a sleeper (and right now he really hasn't proven himself) then he will get my vote. There is a certain amount of hype here, but no more than with Kearns, Beckett, etc. Look for Ty to be the only player in the bigs with a name that sounds like it belongs on The Simpsons, to excel out of this sleeper category.
Last edited by metsfan1969 on Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well Look who has come to the cafe, It's Mr. Met!
metsfan1969

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers