POD - Adrian Gonzalez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

POD - Adrian Gonzalez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

POD - Adrian Gonzalez

Postby JOEG » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:21 am

I thought i would start a thread to actually get to know some somewhat unknown players and see if we can get a discussion going to see what these guys are really about.

Today I chose Adrian Gonzalez - who has started a couple times this week for Texas against righties at firstbase. I think this is a great guy to have an eye out for, as Fullmer, Perry, and Teixera are all not exactly Cal Ripkin clones so a DH/1B spot might be available a lot this year.

What i know about him is he was drafted by Florida in 2000 in the first round as was regarded as the best pure hitter in that draft (that included Rocco). A couple injuries later and he was dealt to Texas for Urbina. Immediatly he became the Rangers #1 prospect. Baseball America compares him to Palmeiro.

Last year in the minors he hit for a decent average and only a few homers, however they think his power will come.

What does everyone else know about him?
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GameOn » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:27 am

He looks good so far, he had a couple of hits last night. He is only up until Tex comes back, so he has another week or two. And, once Perry comes back adrian will probably not play as much. From what I have heard is that his defense is excellent, so he might play 1B some day and Tex might either shift to the OF or DH.

Personally, I can't stand Perry and I don't know why he is even playing. What really peeves me is that Buck plays him clean up against lefties instead of Tex, but whatever. I think the rangers are just playing Perry so that they can trade him midseason. I look forward to seeing more of adrian when Perry is gone.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby trac02 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:20 pm

He'll be a good one, from the scouting I've read: as GameOn suggests, he'll be a Gold Glover at first base if he gets a steady job there (good enough to push Tex to the OF, I imagine), but he projects more as a Mark Grace type hitter than a Palmeiro, albeit with more power and a lower average than Grace but not quite the power of Raffy. The Rangers are going to have a scary good offense before long. Pity about the pitching.
trac02
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GameOn » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:59 pm

Pitching has been so far so good. My hopes for this year are just that Park will continue his good start and regain SOME of his past numbers, perhaps one young guy will step out and pitch well, and then in the offseason sign a couple of pitchers. If that happens the Rangers might be pretty good this year.

I must say, they look pretty good so far, the bullpen looks awesome which is definitely a change. When Almanzar, Powell, Nelson, or Cordero come in I actually have confidence that the game is in good hands (KNOCK ON WOOD). The rangers definitely have a new look and I really like it. ARod is gone so no more drama, just gritty baseball.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby mth1185 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:53 pm

I was beyond furious when the Marlins traded Adrian for Urbina, but that ended up sort of working out. He should be a stud 1b in a couple years.
mth1185
College Coach
College Coach

friday

Postby JOEG » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:33 pm

Looks like on friday we find out if Texiera is going to be out or back, of corse this has a huge inpact on Adrians fantasy value.... if big tex is out another week i might consider picking Adrian up for a short time
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers