99 Pitches for Hudson... why take him out? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

99 Pitches for Hudson... why take him out?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bronxxbomber » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:16 am

They're sticking with the Rick Peterson model. Basically they get pulled after about 100-110 pitches. You'll rarely see any of them be overused. This is why Hudson, Zito, and Mulder have been consistently healthy and good. Their arms aren't being totured just to get a CG when their BP is solid.
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:19 am

I agree with Spartans.. no need to tax that arm this early in the season. I have Hudson and Rhodes both. So I'm very happy with the turn out. Hudson stays fresh.. Rhodes gets a nice 2k save. It's all good. Hudson has been really sharp to start the season. I'd like it if they kept him on lower pitch counts so he stays this sharp all season. And with Rhodes getting the job done nicely.. I dont see why they A's wont.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:03 am

LBJackal wrote:Because they're being smart. Sure they could be like the Marlins and Cubs and leave their guys in until their arms fall off. But look at the Marlins: Burnett out for the year, manager fired due to keeping pitchers in too long. Kerry Wood gets TJ surgery, Prior might be out for the year.

I can't blame Oakland for any decision they make with their pitchers, since Zito, Hudson, and Mulder's arms have been healthy due to using them properly.

Wood had his TJ surgery when the cubs were still under Don Baylor, so dont blame Dusty for that. And Prior is definitely not out for the season, he threw 50 pitches off the mound yesterday. And at 99 pitches I dont think there was any worry of Hudsons arm falling off. 99 isnt too many going into the 9th. However, he had given up 4 runs so I agree with bringing in Rhodes, even though I own Hudson.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers