Calling Cubs fans--what's the deal with - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Calling Cubs fans--what's the deal with

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Calling Cubs fans--what's the deal with

Postby mtarail » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:51 pm

The closer situation?

Does anyone here have an idea of how short the leash is on Borowski right now? Hawkins has been lights out and Borowski hasn't looked too good all year...
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby intense » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:53 pm

Im in chicago and from what I can gather, Borowski is the man for now and it doesnt seem like he will lose his job anytime soon... The cubs also dont seem to like to give out much info on anything (prior situation, ect).
intense
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Runningman » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:30 am

Dusty Baker has never said or did anything that would lead me to believe Borowski's job is in any danger.
Runningman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ChubbyCubbey » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:32 am

Borowski is there man for the season. He would need to blow quite a few saves for dusty to make a move.
ChubbyCubbey
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Spartans Rule » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:36 am

While us fantasy guys are obsessed with the closing role because thats where we get our saves, the 7th and 8th innings are also very important to a big league club. Hawkins has shown he can pitch well in setup but has struggled as a closer. I don't see any reason the Cubs would mess with that.

Borowski should close all year, but even if he doesn't, Kyle Farnsworth may be first in line for a crack at the saves.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sammyfan711 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:11 am

Borowski still has the job but has looked pretty bad. Pat and Ron (the WGN broadcasters) both think there is something "not right" about Borowski. He has walked the first man he faced on 4 pitches twice now; it seems logical that the Cubs will make a move pretty soon in the closer department. Remember, JoeBo was an afterthought at this point last year - Farnsworth could get a shot sooner than later.
sammyfan711
College Coach
College Coach

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:15 pm

i havent heard anything about jobo losing the job but that doesnt necessarily mean anything. last year dusty told us a 100 times that alfonseca was going to be the closer when he came back and that never happened. he is just saying what needs to be said. i dont know what borowski's problem is but the manager sure isnt going to go public with some comments and destroy whatever confidence he has at the moment.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Return to Baseball Leftovers