Acevedo: what is the scouting report on this kid? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Acevedo: what is the scouting report on this kid?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Rhymes_T79 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:58 pm

thanx geaux!

now THATS what im talkin about! excellent scouting report bro! he can get it up there at 95, then thats awesome. top 20 huh? i like the bold prediction !+)
Without ME it would just be AWESO.
Rhymes_T79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby geaux » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:05 pm

I didn't say he can throw 95, I did say it has the ride on it like a 95 mph'er would have. I don't know what he tops out at, but he's consistantly in the low 90's. Didn't mention this too, which is huge in these small ballparks these days, he seems to always keep the ball down...when he's missing, it's not high and able to be driven out of the park easily. And like someone else was saying, he really had Giles struck out last night on an inside fastball at 0-2. He came back with the same pitch, left it maybe 2 more inches inside, and Giles turned on it. Didn't let it get to him though, only walked one batter and allowed no hits after that.
geaux

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Rhymes_T79 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:09 pm

I didn't say he can throw 95, I did say it has the ride on it like a 95 mph'er would have.

gotcha! ;-D

yeah i saw the replays of that pitch too, that definitely shoulda been a K, it was more over the middle than inside too! according to the little ball tracker thing on TV anyways.
Without ME it would just be AWESO.
Rhymes_T79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby John Bonzo » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:12 pm

geaux wrote:Rhymes,

Coming from a regular fantasy guy's perspective who owned Acevedo last year for his 3 starts and watched him slip in the dugout on ESPN2 last year, then watched him all through spring and into this season...he has a solid fastball in the low 90's with some movement, not flat at least and when he throws it at the numbers it tends to ride up like a 95 mph fastballer throws as a good strikeout pitch. A great slider with late movement that breaks low and away from righties that busts lefties in, seems to go to this alot with 0-2 and 1-2 counts as his main K pitch. I think he might have some type of splitter/sinker that he throws as well, I've seen him throw something that dips in the dirt to lefties, but not too sure on that. As for his change, I disagree with the prospectus cause of what I heard last night...the TBS crew mentioned he needed to work on his changeup cause it was being thrown too fast...his fastball was at 91-92 and the change was at 85-86...that needs to slow down about 4-5mph to be more effective. I was worried about him against the Braves last night, but he proved he isn't just a flash in the pan, and that his stuff as long as the Reds offense stays relatively healthy, should notch him alot of wins, a low WHIP and a great ERA. I would consider him at the moment to be around a top 20 pitcher in the league...of course I fear that as he is young and not totally proven, but until someone proves they can hit him or he loses the strike zone...I'd start him every week unless at Coors of course.

I'm just another guy, been playing fantasy baseball for about 5 years, I'm pretty die hard though, take it for what it's worth. Just my opinion.

Excellent post, thank you!
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby B.O.S. Owner » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:50 am

bert hooten also threw a knuckle curve...
"Winning isn't everything....IT IS THE ONLY THING!"
B.O.S. Owner
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers