Acevedo: what is the scouting report on this kid? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Acevedo: what is the scouting report on this kid?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby doc watson » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:39 pm

perlick29 wrote:Ok rhymes here is your official scouting report from th guy who scouts all (me) about Jose Acevedo:

A lot of times you will find that there are pitchers who need to lop off one walk per nine innings to become major leaguers. Acevedo has done just that over the past two seasons, for which the Reds organization credits his learning to control his emotions on the mound. He should have been in the Reds opening day rotation last year and you'd be more familiar with him if, when he finally did get the call he hadn't slipped in the Dodger dugout and suffered an ankle injury that eventually required surgery.

Final Analysis: Acevedo is someone to watch in 2004 ;-D

Hope that helps, it should give owners a bit of a proverbial "chubby".

Perlick, the next time you decide to copy something word-for-word from the Baseball Prospectus, you might want to cite your source....

Here's a breakdown straight from TSN's Scouting Notebook:

"Acevedo has average velocity, but he demonstrates a good feel for pitching. His best offering probably is a changeup, but he has also added a cutter, which last year had developed into a good out pitch before he was sidelined. Acevedo has excellent control with all his pitches and usually is around the plate."

I watched him pitch last night because I just picked up him AND Thompson this week. His fastball topped out around 91, but he had very good control. The pitch that Giles hit for a HR was a 1-2 hanger where he made a mistake and Giles jumped all over it. The previous pitch, however, he got squeezed by the ump on an inside fastball and should have had a strikeout.

I think he's worth a gamble. I like him better than Riley simply because he doesn't pitch in the AL East....
doc watson
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yikes » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:41 pm

perlick29 wrote:Only two years younger and better than Garcia, Speaking of Garcia, everyone who has him might consider trading him if he has some value, because my numbers foresee trouble for him this year.

I agree, trade Garcia while his stock is high
;-D
Insert Signature Here...
Yikes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rhymes_T79 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:42 pm

better than garcia! now thats saying something. even tho he had a bad year last year, he's still a horse with +fastball, + curve, and +change. throwing a slider this year as well. last year he had two burst eardrums and got the problem fixed over the offseason. they say it affected his balance... quite important in pitching! freddy's been tearing it up this year so far. he's also been clubbing less! (i've actually seen him out kickin it on more than one occasion). i actually see good things for freddy this year. haha makes me 2nd guess if u know what u are talking about!!! haha just kidding man. i believe u know what u are talkin about with acevedo. :-D
Without ME it would just be AWESO.
Rhymes_T79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby perlick29 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:43 pm

lol, hey I changed some words. But I'm glad to see there are fellow Bible readers like me. You are correct I should have cited though I've read that book like 5 times over so I prob. could have recited it word for word.

My apologies Baseball Prospectus I never meant to anger you. Thou shall not slay me for my actions.

Didn't know The Rock Look alike was a big clubhead but even still I like Acevedo to anchot the Reds staff and be successful.
Last edited by perlick29 on Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rhymes_T79 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:47 pm

doc watson, thanks for that scouting report as well. good to know what im dealing with. fastball tops out at 91 huh? wonder if it has any movement. late breaking i hope! cutter eh? thats dope. loaiza tore it up last year after learning the cutter. this guy is still young and learned it, sounds good to me!

having a splitter or cutter is definitely a plus in my book.

btw, since we were talking about freddy for a sec... did you know ryan franklin and gil meche both throw 5 pitches? meche has a knuckle-curve as well. the only other player i know of with that pitch is mussina, the inventor of the pitch.
Last edited by Rhymes_T79 on Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhymes_T79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby doc watson » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:48 pm

Perlick - No worries, my friend. I'm a little anal about citing sources, I admit it. ;-)

Have you seen the Seinfeld where Kramer gets thrown out of the Yankees' fantasy camp for punching Mickey Mantle?

Classic...
Last edited by doc watson on Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doc watson
College Coach
College Coach

Postby perlick29 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:51 pm

Ooh, a Seinfeld reference. I think two drops of pee just came out. Way to make a new friend doc watson. Yes I loved that one, "Someone grabbed me from behind so I socked him, I mean I really let him have it. I looked down and... IT WAS MICKEY! I punched my idol in the face!"

Kramer, you make the world brighter.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Krunk City King$ » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:57 pm

Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Rhymes_T79 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:01 pm

thanks bro good shtuff

john thompson is another "favorite sleeper"? damn... comin up in the world.

i was offered DOTEL/J.Thompson for Riley/Hawkins today.

Doc, if you think Acevedo is better than Riley, then would you also say that John Thompson is better than Riley? If so, then i should do this deal right?
Rhymes_T79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby geaux » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:48 pm

Rhymes,

Coming from a regular fantasy guy's perspective who owned Acevedo last year for his 3 starts and watched him slip in the dugout on ESPN2 last year, then watched him all through spring and into this season...he has a solid fastball in the low 90's with some movement, not flat at least and when he throws it at the numbers it tends to ride up like a 95 mph fastballer throws as a good strikeout pitch. A great slider with late movement that breaks low and away from righties that busts lefties in, seems to go to this alot with 0-2 and 1-2 counts as his main K pitch. I think he might have some type of splitter/sinker that he throws as well, I've seen him throw something that dips in the dirt to lefties, but not too sure on that. As for his change, I disagree with the prospectus cause of what I heard last night...the TBS crew mentioned he needed to work on his changeup cause it was being thrown too fast...his fastball was at 91-92 and the change was at 85-86...that needs to slow down about 4-5mph to be more effective. I was worried about him against the Braves last night, but he proved he isn't just a flash in the pan, and that his stuff as long as the Reds offense stays relatively healthy, should notch him alot of wins, a low WHIP and a great ERA. I would consider him at the moment to be around a top 20 pitcher in the league...of course I fear that as he is young and not totally proven, but until someone proves they can hit him or he loses the strike zone...I'd start him every week unless at Coors of course.

I'm just another guy, been playing fantasy baseball for about 5 years, I'm pretty die hard though, take it for what it's worth. Just my opinion.
geaux

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers