Joe-Bo or LaTroy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Joe-Bo or LaTroy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Joe-Bo or LaTroy?

Postby Ry-Guy » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:27 am

Ok, here we go again. Is Joe Borowski one blown save away from losing closer duties to LaTroy Hawkins? I noticed Hawkins is available in many of my leagues. Is it time to snatch him up before he is publically made the closer?
Check out www.hardcorefantasybaseball.com
Ry-Guy
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KolbSaves » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:30 am

I don't think Borowski will lose the job anytime soon. Hawkins was brutal a couple years ago when he was a closer, too.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bedard » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:31 am

Definitely consider grabbing him. Baker has given Borowski his vote of confidence, but, as you probably know, anything coming out of Baker's mouth has as much chance of being a lie as it does of being true. I can't see Baker, perhaps the most two-faced, not to mention moronic, manager in baseball history, hesitating on pulling Borowski's plug and giving the job to Hawkins, who happens to be a colored man. Then again, I googled news'ed Borowski earlier, and read that his velocity has picked up. Who knows.
Bedard

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby MikeD22 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:35 pm

pick up LaTroy, just compare their ERA's. Borowski was on a short leash last year. he'll be gone soon
MikeD22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Runningman » Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:38 pm

Dusty Baker rode Shawn Estes for the entire regular season last year, even when the playoffs were on the line. Think about it.... sticking with ESTES, at a crucial time, in a typical Estes year.

Dusty likes veterans, and he also will stick with a guy who's proved he can get the job done. No closer is perfect, and Dusty realizes that. Dusty doesn't have a fantasy team and he won't bench his players because they have a bad game. After what Borowski did for the Cubs last year, he bought himself a long period of amnesty. As long as he performs well and gets the save on most nights, his job is secure. Dusty unlike panicked fantasy managers, realizes that whoever he puts in there will blow some saves, he'll stick with the guy who he knows will still accomplish most of them.
Runningman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stumpak » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:24 pm

I agree with the above. Borowski is a seasoned closer with two years of sucess under his belt. Hawkins completely blew when the Twins handed him the closer job, and lost it in 3 months.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers