How much better is Soriano than Boone???? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How much better is Soriano than Boone????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:40 am

Soxcess wrote:but like I said if you've got the likes of Renteria, Crawford and Beltran, who is more beneficial to your team, the stolen bases aren't needed

Soriano still is. He's gunna hit more homers and probably equal out in RBI's. He also racks up around 200 hits consistantly and will bat .300 or just barely below.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bedard » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:43 am

Yea, I don't mean to say that its just the steals that makes him better, its the steals that makes him a LOT better. That fact could allow this kid to improve his team by getting another good player along with Boone. Possible both teams could benefit from a Soriano Boone trade when you factor in comparative advantage. Not that he ever mentioned a potential trade. Just saying Soriano becomes less valuable to you than he is to others when you are already set in steals.
Bedard

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:45 am

Does anybody think he might be taking it easy and trying to make contact? I recall he started out pretty hot last year before his average dropped but I think the SI preview or something alluded to him trying to progress as a hitter. That would REALLY help me out!!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby zEli173 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:50 am

Going into the season I had Soriano rated as about twice as valuable as Boone. That hasn't changed yet.
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Soxcess » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:51 am

here are some stats over the last 3 years, Boone AVG .301, Soriano .286, HR's Boone 96, Soriano 95, RBI, Boone 365, Soriano 266(although admittedly being a leadoff hitter hindered that amount), 2B, Boone 106, Soriano 121, 3B, Boone 11, Soriano 10, (I can't believe that one), and hits, Boone 558, Soriano 561, Boone looks better power number wise but will the move to Texas help Soriano that much to close the gap???
Soxcess

Postby BigMusky » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:55 am

I think that if you have Beltran and Crawford on your team, trading Soriano for Boone and another good player may be beneficial. Or you could trade Crawford to someone that needs steals. That would allow you to put another big bat in your lineup. Trading Crawford would probably fetch the same quality of player you could get in a two for one Boone/Soriano trade. That would allow you to not downgrade your best position. I have Crawford and Soriano too...so I have thought about trading for Boone once, but decided against it.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Quaker » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:56 am

I believe that Soriano has a much higher ceiling than Boone, but everyone has overstated Soriano's value over Boone for the past few years, as Soxcess points out with the statistics. I think that this year they will also be much closer value than most Soriano-philes will concede. Soriano is obviously the future though.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigMusky » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:22 pm

alot of players put up similiar numbers....but the highly sought guys are capable of just exploding and leaving the pack behind. That is why Soriano is more valuable.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Soxcess » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:34 pm

okay, how about this question then, if Boone and Soriano basically have similar numbers, barring SB's, why would a guy want to trade Boone and another player for Soriano, I would think if a person wanted to trade Soriano for Boone, he couldn't do better than a straight up trade at this point
Soxcess

Postby Nails » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:51 pm

I think one of the main things that people are overlooking is the fact that Soriano is a definite 1st round pick and Boone goes as low as 3rd or 4th in some drafts. If you compare their numbers, I would much rather take Beltran in the 1st and then "settle" for Boone in the 3rd or 4th. I think that if you wanted to get rid of Soriano, you could probably get Boone and another quality player from Soriano's name recognition alone. Most people have this perception that Soriano is way better than Boone, but as has been shown earlier in this post, the stats show different.
Nails
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers