Ichiro - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ichiro

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ichiro

Postby Mike » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:17 am

Can someone please explain to me why this guy is rated so highly?

He puts up solid numbers in 3 categories and below average numbers in 2. A very good player, sure, but I don't understand why he is a second or third round pick.

ESPN's pre-season rankings had him listed 12th. Does anyone know where he finished on the ESPN player rater last year?

Thanks
Mike
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kevy Kev » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:30 am

I hope he starts swipeing some bags this season! I tend to agree with you, I think he's a little overated. He'll help average and runs and if everthing goes right steals. It's tuff somedays when you have to sit him on your bench to put in someone that has the chance of hitting a dong (dunn, konerko). :-?
these are not the droids your looking for
Kevy Kev Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bsdo4ever » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:33 am

Definitely overrated. But good none the less. I picked him up on smallworld and he pretty much sucks when you lose points for an 0-1 trip to the plate. I figured with his BA it would be a sure thing, plus some SB and I got a good player. NOPE, 6 k's on the season and a .311 average.
bsdo4ever
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ZAZ » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:43 am

That whole team has to start playing and then maybe he'll start getting some stats (I hope). Last night Seattle had to rely on a balk for a win. However, Ichiro has to be the guy to get it all started at the top of the order too. If this keeps up, his stock will drop as far as anyone else's from 2004-2005.
ZAZ
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mike again » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:13 pm

thanks,

I know that 10 games is too small of a sample size to rely on, but I am still very interested on his ratings based on last year's stats. I am trying to get an objective idea of his value, which is why I am especially interested in where he was on the ESPN player rater for last year.
Mike again

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Spartans Rule » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:08 pm

Just some things to consider about Ichiro:

1. Because he leads off, never gets hurt, and swings at everything, Ichiro ends up with an ungodly # of ABs each year. This means that his BA counts more heavily in determining your team average. Ichiro hitting .310 over 650 ABs is likely to help your BA more than Manny Ramirez hitting .320 over 500 ABs.

2. His power numbers aren't awful - 13 HR and 62 RBI last year. He's not a totally punchless Juan Pierre or Alex Sanchez type.

3. Ichiro was 9th in the league in steals last year, and tied for 11th in runs scored. He's not just solid in those cats, he's among the very best.

4. Ichiro's 2001 was simply amazing. He led the MLB in BA and SB and was first round value that year. It wasn't that long ago so some people are going to draft hoping he can put together another one like it.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jpbusta » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:10 pm

Spartans Rule wrote:Just some things to consider about Ichiro:

1. Because he leads off, never gets hurt, and swings at everything, Ichiro ends up with an ungodly # of ABs each year. This means that his BA counts more heavily in determining your team average. Ichiro hitting .310 over 650 ABs is likely to help your BA more than Manny Ramirez hitting .320 over 500 ABs.

2. His power numbers aren't awful - 13 HR and 62 RBI last year. He's not a totally punchless Juan Pierre or Alex Sanchez type.

3. Ichiro was 9th in the league in steals last year, and tied for 11th in runs scored. He's not just solid in those cats, he's among the very best.

4. Ichiro's 2001 was simply amazing. He led the MLB in BA and SB and was first round value that year. It wasn't that long ago so some people are going to draft hoping he can put together another one like it.

Good call of the day. ;-D
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Payne Dailey » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:18 pm

jpbusta wrote:
Spartans Rule wrote:Just some things to consider about Ichiro:

Good call of the day. ;-D

I agree, excellent post.
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers