Bonds. Dare I ask? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bonds. Dare I ask?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby sley » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:32 am

You're right, dominating isn't the right word. What I mean is, to me, he's better relative to the other top players in his sport even more so than any player was in any sport in a long time, except maybe for Gretzky. Yes, I've heard of MJ, the best player by far of his era, but I think the gap between Bonds and A-Rod, Pujols, etc. is a little bigger than it was between MJ and Magic and Byrd. Bonds makes Pujols and A-Rod look like lightweights. Last year Bill Mueller's OPS was closer to Pujols' than Pujols' was to Bonds, and Ben Grieves was closer to A-Rod's OPS than A-Rod was to Bonds'.

Forget steroids, I think Bonds made a deal with the Devil.
sley

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:46 am

sley wrote:Forget steroids, I think Bonds made a deal with the Devil.

Damn Giants? ;-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:03 am

tmoney wrote:Dont forget Michael Jordan, Im sure you have seen him play. ;-D I do agree that Bonds is probably the best baseball player I have ever seen play, but I think it is difficult to place any baseball player in the category of the most dominant athlete. Not that baseball players arent amazing athletes, it is just that baseball is a sport that relies so much on your team.

I disagree. When a hitter faces a pitcher, it is a one on one scenario. The team matters so far as the defense playing behind the pitcher and the batters protecting you in the lineup, but overall Baseball is nowhere near the teamsport that Basketball is. If you think it is difficult to place any baseball player in the category of the most dominant athlete, it's obvious you've never played competitive baseball before. Not only that, but we all remember how great of a baseball player Michael Jordan was.

ps Don't forget Bonds has 8 Gold Gloves. If you don't think it takes a great athlete to be a gold glove winning outfielder...
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:07 am

josebach wrote:ps Don't forget Bonds has 8 Gold Gloves. If you don't think it takes a great athlete to be a gold glove winning outfielder...

Not to take anything away from Bonds, who is clearly a great athlete, but Gold Gloves aren't always a good indicator. Sometimes, they seem to drift into the realm of popularity contest, or reward for past excellence. Consider Rafael Palmeiro in '99, in spite of 135 games at DH, for instance.

Some of Bonds' Gold Gloves probably also fall into this category (man, am I going to get it for saying this ;-) ). Bonds over Brian Jordan in '96, for instance, seems a bit iffy...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KolbSaves » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:21 am

Palmiero got the DH Golden Glove that year, the Golden (Batting) Glove for best on deck defense.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby frog99 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:26 am

Bonds is an amzaing player.

if we measure a player by adjusted OPS+. he is tied for Lou Gehrig for 3rd all time behind Ruth and Ted Williams.

he is the most dominate player of this era, but he still isn't a career 300 hitter.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers