This is a joke right?! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

This is a joke right?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby perlick29 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:14 am

excellent posts by the previous two. Giles will I repeat will get hot. Do not drop him as I heard somewhere!!! No, and dont trade him. I think when I was born the doctor slapped me on the ass and said remember kid: "Buy low, sell high." I got the message along with a slightly red baby booty.

Doing a little background check on some of these guys we are quick to drop, really helps guys.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:09 am

Buying low and selling high only works when you think the player is only in a slump and will return to his prior form. I admit he is probably in a slump right now, BUT, he will never return to his MVP type seasons. In this case it's not a case to buy low and sell high, it's a case to cut your losses before they get worse.

However the good thing is that, I bet you could trade him and give him to another owner who has the same logic you do (Giles is slumping, therefore I'm buying him low). If I owned him, I would deal him right now, before his slump continues, the longer you wait, the longer his value suffers. Or, if he has a good game or two, deal him then because everyone will be saying "Giles is back!", when he will never be the same.

Obviously, it's a personal decision regarding how much faith you have in Giles to rebound. I am not saying he won't be a good OF this year, but he will not even come close to justifying where everyone was drafting him, much less have the MVP type season that so many "experts" were predicting. When you play half of your games in Petco, subtract 10 HRs, then factor in his age and subtract another 5.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby davus » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:26 am

Giles was, is, and always will be a stud. He is in a slump. It's the 2nd week of baseball.

Come on, get real. :-t

Giles = .300, 30hr, 100rbi's - guaranteed.
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dice » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:18 pm

I agree. Giles will be seeing my bench a bit, but I won't trade him low. Manny, Milton Bradley, and Melvin Mora will be patrolling my outfield.

For your amusement, here are the 13 players that went after I took Giles in what amounts to the 5th round of my keeper league:

Schmidt
Sexson
Lieberthal
Randy Johnson!
I-Rod
Lance Berkman
Jason Giambi
Ichiro
Derrek Lee
Aubrey Huff
Kendall
Bagwell
FOULKE!

Sigh.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Geek » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:21 pm

Probably a bit early to give up on him completely, but I avoided him because Petco is a deathtrap for lefthanded powerhitters. 25-28 homeruns if you're lucky--budget accordingly.

I had him in one league and traded him and Brandon Webb for Abreu and Cintron (Webb was my #4 starter).
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby T-Bone Costanza » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:13 pm

Geek wrote:I had him in one league and traded him and Brandon Webb for Abreu and Cintron (Webb was my #4 starter).

What's the big deal? Abreu is slumping as badly as Giles and getting fatter.
T-Bone Costanza
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Geek » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:13 pm

T-Bone Costanza wrote:
Geek wrote:I had him in one league and traded him and Brandon Webb for Abreu and Cintron (Webb was my #4 starter).

What's the big deal? Abreu is slumping as badly as Giles and getting fatter.

Abreu at least has hit a couple of dingers. They're both sucking, but I think Abreu will snap out of it sooner.

The deal was done before the season started--buyer's remorse.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KULCAT » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:19 pm

[
quote="slomo007"]Buying low and selling high only works when you think the player is only in a slump and will return to his prior form. I admit he is probably in a slump right now, BUT, he will never return to his MVP type seasons.

And you base that on 3 weeks of a season? If this had happen in July none of you would be even thinking about such comments.
He´s not hurt, he is still in his prime and he´s in a better lineup. But one slump and now he´s Neifi Perez

When you play half of your games in Petco, subtract 10 HRs, then factor in his age and subtract another 5.
[/quote]

How is it that everybody is such an expert on PETCO? That wall is not 700 feet away. 10 homers seems to far fetched
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers