This is a joke right?! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

This is a joke right?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Hyde » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:47 am

Holy Cow a base hit and an rbi.
When you are born you are given a ticket to the freak show, I say enjoy the show. - George Carlin
Hyde
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Quaker » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:57 am

There goes my prediction.

Hopefully this leads to a hot run by Giles.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KolbSaves » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:59 am

I seriously doubt it. It's one hit.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Hyde » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:02 am

It was a lucky bloop hit too, but sometimes that is all you need to get going.
When you are born you are given a ticket to the freak show, I say enjoy the show. - George Carlin
Hyde
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:16 am

I would trade Giles, at least he still has some value....anytime a player who really isn't an MVP caliber player, gets picked by many to be the NL MVP on the "surprise" Padres, that's just putting way too much pressure on someone. I am not trying to be Mr. Negativity or gloat that I didn't draft him, but you could see it coming. Giles was extremely overrated this year, and Petco certainly isn't helping anything. If there is an owner in your league that is willing to drool over his past stats, you should deal him fast, otherwise I guess there may not be much of an option besides benching him. I definitely would not be starting him at this point.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby t » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:20 am

would you trade giles for dontrelle?
t

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

imo

Postby jpbusta » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:21 am

This week, after seeing him still not coming out of slump, I was going to try to get him real cheap but now, I'm not so sure if I want to take the chances. He might just give me more stress. :*)
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:23 am

t wrote:would you trade giles for dontrelle?

I don't know about Dontrelle, I haven't gotten enough of a chance to watch him live. I would shoot for a more reliable veteran. Maybe if you're lucky you could pull off Mussina...but that might be a stretch. I would probably take Matt Morriss for him, he seems to be finally healthy and still underrated.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby KULCAT » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:05 am

slomo007 wrote:I would trade Giles, at least he still has some value....anytime a player who really isn't an MVP caliber player, gets picked by many to be the NL MVP on the "surprise" Padres, that's just putting way too much pressure on someone. I am not trying to be Mr. Negativity or gloat that I didn't draft him, but you could see it coming. Giles was extremely overrated this year, and Petco certainly isn't helping anything. If there is an owner in your league that is willing to drool over his past stats, you should deal him fast, otherwise I guess there may not be much of an option besides benching him. I definitely would not be starting him at this point.

I dissagree with the fact that you guys make Giles look like if Richard Hidalgo was having a bad season. Giles put up top 7 outfielder numbers from 99-02. Thats 4 years of excellence. Few have been as reliable. .300 avg 38 hr and over 100 rbi´s. He´s more Maglio than Hidalgo. And putting him on a beter lienup got people talking. I dont think this Petco Park will suddenly turn him into Shane Spencer. Maybe lose up to 5 homers but that average wont go away just cause he´s playing in a pitchers park. He has been terrible so far but i think he´s too good tu give em away for free at this point. At least let April finish
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:57 am

How are you going to trade Giles?

As you guys have noted, Giles simply isnt getting hits right now and his numbers are awful - so who are you going to trade him for?

Repeat after me:

Buy Low - Sell High.

Do Not:

Sell Low - Buy High

If you drafted Giles, bench him - not drop him or trade him for less than what he is worth. Suck it up and put him on the bench until he starts hitting again - its simply a matter of time.

As for targetting him in a trade - smart move if you can convince the owner to let him go for cheap.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers