Rate the Yankees - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rate the Yankees

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby frog99 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:11 am

ill analyze the Yankees postion by postion...

C: Most constistant offensive Catcher in MLB (with Piazza an injury waiting to happen), below average defense.

1b: Giambi great OBP and slugging%; is a huge hole defensily. Travis Lee and Clark are both above average 1b with the glove.

2b: Wilson good speed... that is hiis only real asset.

SS: Jeter. Decent obp, not really a power threat or a speed demon. Worst range of any SS in MLB.

3b: Great Defense (yesturday not withstanding) Great offense. Will not put up the same numbers as he did at the Bandbox in Texas.

OF: Matusi solid in OF, will never hit for the same power he did in JApan.

Sheff, great player boder line HOFer.

Williams, good player, but not the same guy as in 1998.

Lofton. better defense than Williams, but is really starting to show signs of his age.

Pitching and Bullpen are both among the top 3 in MLB (top 2 if Prior misses the whole season)
Last edited by frog99 on Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby frog99 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:13 am

i should say, i have them penciled in for between 95-100 wins.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:13 am

ajgdrummer7 wrote:Jeter has cost them 2 games? Where did you find this? Wilson not working out? Do you have any proof of this? Enrique made some flat out sick plays in spring training. Jeter isn't awesome on short but we've won championships with him there in the past and it hasn't really affected us. It has actually helped us some with plays such as the "Flip Play" against Oakland and making that great catch falling into the crowd.

Regardless of whether he's a goldglover or mediocre SS, we have won with him in the past so I don't see what the big deal is now. Is he all of a sudden going to blow all our games just because A-Rod had to move to 3B? That makes no sense.

Yes he has so far this yr - Im just going off SC highlights here, but I do distinctly remember a couple errors or scuffed plays by Jeter that has either directly cost a big run or kept a big inning alive for the other team - and its only 2 weeks into the season.

Wilson has had communication issues with Jeter already too - costing them an out or two. An example: how about the pickoff play with Manny the other day? He jumped a ball thrown to Jeter for the easy out, flubbed it, and Manny stole 2nd.

Have you been watching the Yankee games? If so, you know this isnt coming out of left field - Jeter has looked bad at SS - at least thats what all the highlights have shown.

I am not a Yankee hater - I could really care less about all that - but I am looking at this as an impartial observer - unlike you.

Look - I dont care about the flip play, or his "clutch", or his captaincy. The Yankees best SS isnt playing SS and that will hurt this team - even if its marginal - and Jeter already has hurt them this yr. I think you need to take a step back and look at this with a bit more objectivity.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:22 am

frog99 wrote:ill analyze the Yankees postion by postion...

1b: Giambi great OBP and slugging%; is a huge hole defensily. Travis Lee and Clark are both above average 1b with the glove.

2b: Wilson good speed... that is hiis only real asset.

SS: Jeter. Decent obp, not really a power threat or a speed demon. Worst range of any SS in MLB.

3b: Great Defense (yesturday not withstanding) Great offense. Will not put up the same numbers as he did at the Bandbox in Texas.

OF: Matusi solid in OF, will never hit for the same power he did in JApan.

Sheff, great player boder line HOFer.

Williams, good player, but not the same guy as in 1998.

Lofton. better defense than Williams, but is really starting to show signs of his age.

Pitching and Bullpen are both among the top 3 in MLB (top 2 if Prior misses the whole season)

I'll also give my take on this:

C- Jorge Posada- Arguabley the best offensive catcher in the MLB and a pretty good one defensively also.

1B- Jason Giambi- Offensive force. Bad in the field but Travis Lee is a gold glove caliber fielder and will get most of the season there. Nothing makes up for Giambi's bat though.

2B- Enrique Wilson- Good defensivley, bad offensivley (except against Pedro.) ;-D

3B- Alex Rodriguez- Looks pretty damn good in the field so far. Has made some really nice plays for his first month at the position. We all know what the guy is capable of at the plate.

SS- Derek Jeter- Not a good fielder but in pressure moments can come through HUGELY with his great instincts. Very good hitter and will be a great leadoff man. (His numbers as a leadoff man are better than when he's batting 2nd.)

LF- Hideki Matsui- Decent outfielder. Will hit for a pretty good average with about 20 homers and 100 RBI's. Not bad production out of the 7th or 8th spot in your lineup. 8-o

CF- Bernie Williams- People forget he hit .330 two seasons ago and was injured most of last season. Bernie always hits for a great average and finds himself in the batting race. Power is decreasing but the Yankees have more than enough to make up for that. Still a decent fielder, just has no arm.

RF- Gary Sheffield- Great hitter. Without a doubt one of the most feared hitters in the MLB and he's hitting behind A-Rod and Giambi. Does nothing special in the field.

DH- Kenny Lofton- Probably will be traded soon for a pitcher. Not that good and he's a loudmouth. Giambi will take over as DH and Travis Lee will be put on first (who doesn't have a bad bat.)

Pitching staff ranks within the top 3 if everyone is on. Definately there with one more solid starter. One of the best bullpens in baseball also.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:24 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
ajgdrummer7 wrote:Jeter has cost them 2 games? Where did you find this? Wilson not working out? Do you have any proof of this? Enrique made some flat out sick plays in spring training. Jeter isn't awesome on short but we've won championships with him there in the past and it hasn't really affected us. It has actually helped us some with plays such as the "Flip Play" against Oakland and making that great catch falling into the crowd.

Regardless of whether he's a goldglover or mediocre SS, we have won with him in the past so I don't see what the big deal is now. Is he all of a sudden going to blow all our games just because A-Rod had to move to 3B? That makes no sense.

Yes he has so far this yr - Im just going off SC highlights here, but I do distinctly remember a couple errors or scuffed plays by Jeter that has either directly cost a big run or kept a big inning alive for the other team - and its only 2 weeks into the season.

Wilson has had communication issues with Jeter already too - costing them an out or two. An example: how about the pickoff play with Manny the other day? He jumped a ball thrown to Jeter for the easy out, flubbed it, and Manny stole 2nd.

Have you been watching the Yankee games? If so, you know this isnt coming out of left field - Jeter has looked bad at SS - at least thats what all the highlights have shown.

I am not a Yankee hater - I could really care less about all that - but I am looking at this as an impartial observer - unlike you.

Look - I dont care about the flip play, or his "clutch", or his captaincy. The Yankees best SS isnt playing SS and that will hurt this team - even if its marginal - and Jeter already has hurt them this yr. I think you need to take a step back and look at this with a bit more objectivity.

I understand that. I know Jeter isn't the best shortstop on our team and yes that could hurt us a bit. But Jeter has always been our shortstop. We have won 4 titles with him there. While he isn't our best option I don't see why he would hurt us anymore than he did in the past.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SOXin'04 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:29 am

ajgdrummer7, if you a yankee fan, why is your avatar a Bosox a bosox logo
SOXin'04

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:35 am

keep watching it :-D
ajgnydc722